• In the Spotlight:

Anyone ever..?

Cooked a whole turkey in a crock pot? I have one that's about 8lbs I think and I want to cook it in the crock pot but I'm not sure how long or what temp it should be when done. Going to look some recipes up but wanted to get advice on here too.

Megs5384

Asked by Megs5384 at 1:30 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Food & Drink

• http://www.ehow.com/how_2110201_cook-turkey-crock-pot.html

Good Luck hope you find this helpful!
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 1:34 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• It should work fine as long as it fits. I roast whole chickens in there (around 6 lbs) by setting it on top of foil balls and cooking on high so that the skin is able to crisp up.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:37 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Low temperature is the way to go. My crock pot has a thermometer that you keep inserted into the food till it reaches the desired temperature. I personally like Paula Dean's house seasoning. The recipe is salt, pepper and garlic powder. You can look it up online.
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 1:48 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I've done whole chickens (and Ginger0104 does what I've done), so a turkey should be plausible. Let us know how it turns out!
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 1:52 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Thanks ladies. I will for sure let you know how it turns out. I'm hoping it works out since the turkey was larger than I thought. It was a tight fit! lol. I had trouble getting the lid on, so I'll have to keep an eye on that. I figure I'll cook on high for a couple hours then put the probe in and cook until it's up to temp. Think that will work?
    Megs5384

Comment by Megs5384 (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I have cooked a turkey breast but not a whole turkey
    Sassy762

Answer by Sassy762 at 7:14 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Crock pot turkey turned out WONDERFUL!!! I removed the stuff from the inside and then just put it in the crock pot. I added salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Grillin' Mates for Chicken from McCormick, and some chicken broth. Cooked it on high for about 4 & 1/2 hours until the little thing popped out. Then let it sit on warm for about an hour. Didn't take the lid off once or baste it or anything. It came out moist and flavorful. I'm so proud of it! I will for sure be cooking this again!!!
    Thanks for all your input ladies!
    Megs5384

Comment by Megs5384 (original poster) at 11:50 PM on Sep. 29, 2010