do anti-polygami laws violate people freedom of religion?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 1:36 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Religious Debate

• *people's
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 1:36 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• They're still free to live as man and wife, just not get the paper declaring them legally wed. I think as long as a person feels their marriage is valid in the eyes of God that their rights aren't being violated and they're still able to conform to their faith.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:38 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• No, because while polygamy is *permitted* as a part of some religions, it is not *required* by any of them.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:38 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I don't know that they violate a person's religious rights specifically (since most modern religions no longer support polygamy), but I definitely feel they are against the spirit of the Constitution. I also feel the government oversteps it's boundaries when it attemps to structure families based on what it considers most beneficial to society.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 1:39 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• For those that don't know, the cast of sister wives is being investigated and possibly prosecuted.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 1:39 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I think the law is set up more for the children conceived from these unions. Many end up getting some sort of welfare. What one man can afford to feed,clothe,and shelter 10,20 kids?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:50 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I don't think it violates religious freedom. I think it violates regular, old, run-of-the-mill freedom. It's not a practice I would enjoy, but I don't think the government should be in the business of stopping adults from engaging in whatever consensual living arrangements they wish to pursue or whatever legally binding contracts they wish to enter.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 1:50 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I think people should be able to marry as many people they want and they should be able to live with whoever they want. As long as everyone is in agreement, who am I to tell them it is wrong?
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:56 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Many end up getting some sort of welfare. What one man can afford to feed,clothe,and shelter 10,20 kids?

Many children of single mothers end up on welfare but no one is telling them they can't live their life as they see fit.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:57 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Good question, I guess if you believe what the Bible says...that marriage is meant for one man and one woman, then polygamy is wrong. I think that is why the govenment objected to the Mormons practicing polygamy a couple of hundred years ago.
    Isure wouldn't agree to polygamy and those women who do are a little....slow,IMO. I get a creepy feeling listening to them talk.They seem brainwashed or,as I said....slow. Not with it. Other-worldy.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:58 PM on Sep. 29, 2010