At home bikini wax question for those who have done it!

I can wax my legs and the hair comes out great. However, when I try to do my bikini area the hair won't come out and I am just causing myself pain. I did trim the area to about 1/4 of an inch and nothing. I was thinking maybe it is because that area tends to be warmer than my legs. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong and anything that will help!

Also I don't want to go to a salon because I just wouldn't feel comfortable letting it all hang out if you know what I mean.

jnd951999

Asked by jnd951999 at 1:38 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Lightly dust the entire area with baby powder before you wax. It will make the wax stick to the hair and not the skin. Make sure the wax is the right temperature so the wax isn't solid or drippy, but beads up just a bit. Hold the skin tight. I sometimes have trouble on the side I have to pull with my left hand, since I'm right handed. My husband sometimes does it because he has an easier time pulling from the right angle.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:59 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I get the strips that you just cut and warm in your hands. They already have the wax on the strip . Then you can cut the the size they need to be the get to hard to reach places.
    Beckcin108

Answer by Beckcin108 at 1:41 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I tried it once and came out in patches lol, never tried it again
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 1:44 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• pull the skin tight before applying the strip. I used to do these all the time when i was on the swim team :)
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 1:47 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I tried it once with my sister, (our legs only) and i literally cried lol. It was the 1st time I had ever done any kind of waxing, her's turned out fine, but mine was horrible lol. She even tried to do mine for me, and couldnt. I guess its just me. I still have patches on my legs where hair doesnt grow anymore.
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 1:52 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Last time I tried an at-home bikini wax, I ended up with a crotch full of wax, which took about 2 hours to remove (very carefully, and with teeny little scissors). Never again. Now I only let the professionals deal with that particular area. No need to be embarrassed, nothing they haven't seen before. And they do a MUCH better job than I did, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:54 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Place a warm wash cloth on the area before waxing but make sure if you are using a damp warm cloth to dry the area completely before waxing. The warmth should open up your pores enough for the hair follicle to come out easier. Make sure to pull the skin tight before pulling off the wax strip.

Also if you are trimming the hair beforehand make sure you are not getting it too short cause that will make the wax stick more to your skin than your hair. A length tip that is comparable when my SIL was at cosmetology school they told her to wait 3 days before waxing an armpit so the hair was roughly the same length as untrimmed eyebrow hairs.

Good luck.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 3:40 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I'm a DIY waxer... You've got to make sure you pull the skin super-tight, or the hair's not gonna come out and it'll bruise your skin. It also helps if you numb the skin first (Oragel actually works great) and I usually take one of my DH's Vicodin about an hour prior; it takes the edge off waaaaaaaaaay better than Tylenol.
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 10:47 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• are you being aware of the growth pattern of your hair in that area? (apply with growth pattern, pull against) pulling properly? (pull with the skin, not away and up and out)

cleansing area first with warm water, drying completely, then applying a LIGHT coat of baby powder? Pulling the skin taunt before pulling?
    (apply pressure right after you pull to decrease pain).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• The at home strips work great
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 2:58 PM on Oct. 4, 2010