Should men have to take care of children conceived during casual sex?

If a child is conceived by two people during a one night stand or casual fling and it's known that a child is not wanted than why should the man have to pay for it his entire life? The woman chose to keep the baby - not the man. Thoughts?
I'm not talking about people in a long term relationship that break up. I'm talking about casual sex.

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 1:40 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I was coming to answer this strictly as saying "it takes two, so he should have as much responsibility as she does." But yet, if he says abortion or adoption and she decides to go through with the pregnancy and keep the baby, well then, yeah...it should be on her. Interesting...I see both sides...
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:43 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• yes, even men know that a baby is a possiblity of casual sex
    you play, you pay
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:41 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• He can easily sign over his rights and never worry about that child ever again. It's not like he doesn't have a choice and is forced to pay support.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:42 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• if it was a one night stand or casual sex they should of used the condoms.
    diana398

Answer by diana398 at 1:42 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• It takes 2 people to create a baby. No form of birth control is 100% safe, therefore, if the 2 people have sex they must live with whatever happens, even if that means a baby. So, YES, if a couple have sex and the women gets pregnant the man needs to know and needs to support the child.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:42 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• You play you pay....

That is why they made condoms, I know exactly what your saying but you still conceived a child if you don't want one then you should not take a chance.

My kids are already learning that and they are in grammar school... My opinion...
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:42 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• The way I see it is that no matter what if you choose to lie down in bed with someone, pregnancy is always a possibility...birth control can fail. Everything you do in life has consequences, some big, some small. I think a man is absolutely just as responsible for the child as the woman. Some states do not allow you to give up financial responsibility unless there is someone else to support the child financially in your place that is willing to adopt or take over the rights.

foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 1:58 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• He made the choice to have casual sex...He knew the posibility of her getting pregnant. He also knew the posibility of her keeping the baby. He ALSO knew he had really no choice in whether the baby was kept or not. He knew what he was doing! He should have kept it in his pants or wrapped it up!
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 1:42 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• in some states though, signing away parental rights does NOT relieve you of financial responsibility for the child
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:44 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• i AGREE VERY MUCH SO THAT IF THEY ARE WILLING TO STICK THEIR DICK IN YOU LIKE A MAN THEY CAN TAKE CARE OF THE CHILD LIKE A MAN!!!!!
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 1:51 PM on Sep. 29, 2010