my 3 year old thinks he rules he wont listen to me he treatens me he is so stubborn you cant make him do anything. my husban is a truck driver so he is only in on weekends but when hes in matty is a good boy i have tryed everthing punnishments spankings time outs bed early it dont work i cant handel him anymore any sugestions?

mamma0860

Asked by mamma0860 at 5:37 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Positive reinforcement works wonders. Tel him how much you like the things he does and be very specific.

Ignore behaviors that aren't disrespect, disgusting, or dangerous. Don't sweat the small stuff. Preschooler love attention. Use redirection-give him something else to do.

Be consistent. Time outs should be no longer than 3 min and should be administered as soon as he does something wrong. Don't yell, just say. "We don't _________. You will have to go to time out.' Be calm, don't give him the power to upset you.

Above all, be consistent and follow through. If you say you going to leave the store if he whines, leave immediately when he whines. Do this even if it inconveniences you. Don't try to bribe (if you stop, i'll buy you a toy). You have to show him that you make the decisions, you are the one in power. Best wishes.
    lilmami81

Answer by lilmami81 at 7:29 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• How does he threaten you?
    Anonymous

• Try a reward system. I had to do the same thing with my daughter and you wouldn't believe the difference it made. Make up a list of things you would like him to do everyday (something simple being as he is 3) or ways you would like him to behave. Have a reward at the end of the week, or day, depending on how well his attention span is. If he meets the goals for the day then he gets his goal, if not he has to try harder next week or the next day. I found a website that helps also, www.handipoints.com. My husband use to work nights and she hated it and what you just descibed use to be my house. But since I started useing this reward system our house is so much happier. Goodluck I know how hard it is when you are at your witts end.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 5:54 PM on Oct. 22, 2008