Babies are a great gift but is it really a miracle?... Really?...

Don't get me wrong, I have a son and he's the best gift to my life but it really urks me to hear someone say, "Congratulations for being pregnant"! That's about as bad as wearing pastels to a funeral. It's so over played and over the top, way too much sugar. Think about it, animals have been having babies for years, do we congratulate them for being preg? Besides, human and our ancestors have been having babies for years as well, it's a biological product and nothing new to human reproduction. Now, having the first woman as president in 2012, that would be an event for congratulations!

NikkiVan1

Asked by NikkiVan1 at 1:42 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Not if that first woman was Sarah Palin...

Umm, it's customary to congratulate somebody on being pregnant, because (assumedly) it's a joyous occasion for the parents-to-be. People have birthdays every year too, do you think it's overplayed to congratulate them on that? I really don't see what the big deal is... Happy occasion = congratulations.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:46 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Im sorry but this is so stupid!

You say congratulations because a new life if being brought into this world. You are saying congratulations because a woman is happy to be having a child.

tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 1:47 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• MY OPINION: YES!!! BABIES ARE A MIRICLE AND GIFT FROM GOD. ALOT OF WOMEN CANNOT GET PREGO, THINK ABOUT IF YOU DIDNT EVEN HAVE THE OPTION TO HAVE YOUR SON. HOW THEY JUST FORM AND GROW INSIDE YOUR WOMB FOR 9 MO (GIVE OR TAKE) IS AMAZING TO TRY AND EVEN FATHOM HOW YOU CAN CARRY LIFE INSIDE YOU AND GIVE BIRTH TO IT. ONE DAY YOUR SON WILL BE BIGGER THAN YOU AND WILL BE ABLE TO PICK U UP AND CARRY U! :) IT THINK IT IS A MIRICLE EVERYTIME I LOOK AT MY SON.
    king0913

Answer by king0913 at 1:48 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Coming from a woman who is unable to conceive, it is a miracle. We just adopted twins, so my heart is happy, but not everyone is lucky enough to get pregnant.
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 1:50 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Considering 80% of pregnancies end in miscarriage before the woman knows she is pregnant, I would call every successful pregnancy a miracle.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:50 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• i agree with you. we are mammals and we're doing what mammals are biologically supposed to do, procreate for our species. we aren't doing anything special or incredible by having a baby...the special part is raising/loving them
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:52 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• After been trying for so long to be able to have a baby I think is a miracle and I pray I get that miracle everyday. And I would love to hear someone soon say congratulations on your pregnancy
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 1:54 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• If a woman I knew had been trying to get pregnant for years with no luck, and then finally did, I would congratulate her. AND I consider life a miracle. Yes, it's been around for millions of years but if you really sit and think about the way our bodies work and reproduce in order for us to live, it is really quite miraculous.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:54 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• you're brigning a new life into the world. a lot of women can't get pregnant. some shoudln't have even gotten pregnant in the first place, like myself. i only have on functioning ovary and my uterus is misshapen. when my son was born by c/s, the doctor discovered that and knew it was why he was breech. he told me later that when a woman has a unicarnuate uterues, she often doesn't get pregnant. df's family calls him a one hit wonder. you do the math
    caljones

Answer by caljones at 1:57 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My opinion is not from a religious standpoint but a scientific one.
    the "miracle' happens when one egg is released and connects with ONE sperm from the millions that were released. This results in an amazing thing where the egg instantly rejects all other sperm that attempts to gain access. It then begins to split into 2 cells, each new cell splitting in to 2 more cells... These cells have knowledge that tells them what they will be. Some become heart cells, some become brain cells, some become skin cells. The entire process is so fascinating! It is simply miraculous!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:58 PM on Sep. 29, 2010