Would your S/O go to work in a different location without you for 8 months to earn an extra $25k?

The job is affiliated with the military, but is NOT the military. The job can be in another state or another country. The $25k is on top of your regular pay, and may even exceed the amount quoted. You could potentially visit, if you could afford it, but you won't be together for the majority of the 8 months.

sojourner.

Asked by sojourner. at 1:46 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• for me, noope, nothing is worth that much time away from my family
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:51 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Yep...I'd send my husband! Lol.
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 1:51 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• If we needed $25K I guess we would consider it.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 1:51 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• no. We've never been apart for more than 12 hrs in 11 years. The extra money isn't worth our being apart for so long.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:52 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• That's really hard to say. I HATE being away from my husband. He occasionally travels for work (has been gone for three weeks total since April) and I can barely stand that. I love the extra time with my kids, but I simply hate being away from him. However, if the money was NEEDED, like to avoid eviction or shut off or repo or serious collections, I think we would consider it. Otherwise, I don't think I could do it. Like I said, it would depend on the situation. I mean, I would love to have an extra 25K, but that, to me, isn't worth 8 months away from my husband, or my family for that matter. It would be a lot harder on the party that was relocating. If it were me, I absolutely don't think I could do it. My son spends weekends at his bio moms house, and its hard not having him home those day. But 8 months.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:53 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• The 8 months to me is not the issue. My DH is retired Army. And we have been apart for up to 15 months. It is the money. My DH was going to take a job like that over in Kewait. We desided it was not worth the money they where paying him. Cause he would have to work there for 3 years so we could pay off our bills or save a lot of money.We would have to pay the bills here and on top of that he would want to spend over their. And we wanted to save or pay off debt. It was not worth the money.

Answer by louise2 at 1:53 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I KNOW THAT HERE IN ALASKA THAT THEY DO THIS SORTA THING. MEN OR WOMEN WILL WORK ON THE SLOPES A MONTH OR MORE ON AND A MONTH OR MORE OFF. YES IT MAY BE HARD TO BE AWAY FROM THEM BUT IT IS MONEY THAT YOU CAN USE. ALSO AFTER A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF TIME AND SAVING YOU WONT HAVE TO WORK ANY MORE CAUSE YOU WILL HAVE ACCUMULATED YOUR MONEY (NEST EGG) THAT YOU CAN LIVE OFF OF ALL YOUR LIFE.
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 1:53 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I would really need to think about it for a loooong time. I hate change and I hate not seeing my husband every day. We'd have to talk about it and weigh the long term benefits for our family. I'm nauseous just thinking about it and it's not even happening to me!
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:54 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Yes. If we needed the money. My dh travels quite a bit anyways. The longest we have been apart was 3 months. (work related)
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:55 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• No, he probably wouldn't, unless it would lead him to a career change he wanted. We've already done the working in different cities for 18 months and it sucked.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 1:55 PM on Sep. 29, 2010