What do I do if I catch my 7 year friend's daughter masturbating?

My daughter age 3 and her son age 5 were in the room while this happened.

clueless1972

Asked by clueless1972 at 5:44 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My now 8 year old discovered mastrubation the last time my husband was deployed. She suffers from Childhood Depressive Disorder and she simply discovered something that made her feel good. We had a little chat about privacy and discretion and didn't bring it up again. Now she knows that it is something we do in the privacy of our room , with a closed door, not in the living room while we are all watching TV, lol! I'd just casually mention it to her mom so they can also have a privacy talk. No need to worry about your children being influenced by the little girl, they all discover their own bodies at their own pace.
    natrlmommy

Answer by natrlmommy at 6:08 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Nothing. Maybe mention it to her mom so she can give her a sex talk. But how old is this girl? Cuz she may not have been actually masturbating. She could just be playing with herself, realizing that it feels good, but not to get herself off. You know?
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 5:45 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• oh my goodness.....I am a teacher and i had a student do this....they really don't know what they are doing but it feels good. i had to tell the parents.....they let her know not to touch herself in front of other people...
    Anonymous

• Also if you see young children exploring themselves they could have a higher possibility of being abused. So be careful about how you approach the mom so she doesn't get defensive but acting out sexually as a young child could be nothing or it could be a sign of a greater problem.
    satilia

Answer by satilia at 5:52 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I have heard that little girls start this sometimes as young as 2 and 3 they dont know exactly what they are doing!! I would just mention it to the mother if it's bothering you that bad.
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 6:51 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• My friend's daughter is 7 years old. My biggest concern is that she would want to explore with others. And now I feel like I can't leave them in the same room unsupervised just in case.
    clueless1972

Answer by clueless1972 at 7:56 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• IDRK bc my daughters ages 6 & 9 have never done this.
    Anonymous

• Talk to her mama. She should know not to do that in front of others.
    lilmami81

Answer by lilmami81 at 12:41 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Oh for goodness sakes. Just tell her mom, it is perfectly normal and it isn't going to hurt the other two at all. They are way too young to even understand anything.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:04 AM on Oct. 23, 2008