i hve a 1wk baby and she gets constipated...whatt cani give her to make it goaway or at least help her??

she was just born last friday and she gets constipated
its happened twice already and she is just a week
so what can i give her or do to make it go away or at least help her??
she also has trouble passing gas what can i do about that?

Mommy_Gonzalez

Asked by Mommy_Gonzalez at 5:46 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Dark Karo syrup in her bottle.... about a teaspoon in each bottle... It will work quick, once it starts working, go to every other bottle, and then once a day and so on :). Good luck.

Babies can digest formula, or most babies wouldn't digest anything. Just because you breastfeed doesn't mean everyone does, and you shouldn't criticise! It is none of your business the way she chooses to feed her baby. These kind of comments simply are not helpful.

Good luck Momma!
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 7:10 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I would say talk to your pediatrician first. But they do make infant laxatives, and they have gas drops for babies too, you can just put it in their bottle. :) I hope I could help :)
    littleblackrose

Answer by littleblackrose at 5:51 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• talk to the dr. first but prune juice for her age like half and oz in her bottle would help with her consipation but definately call the dr first...
    reipea0807

Answer by reipea0807 at 5:54 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• If she is formula fed you may have to switch the formula. Mylicon drops work for gas and are okay to use for newborns!
    Anonymous

• Hi...this happened to my little boy for a few weeks. I asked my pedi and she said to put one ounce of prune juice in a bottle and mix it with a bit of water. Let her drink it down. They like the sweet taste. It works.... My son pooped soon after. This is common. You may want to ask your doctor first though.... Good luck
    andi4th

Answer by andi4th at 6:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• If she is FF, try to breastfeed, its not too late and even a tiny bit will help ease constipation.....formula is harsher on a babies tummy and the synthetic iron in it stops them up VERY bad.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:17 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• yes definitely call dr first but when my daughter was goig through that the doc told me like two or three ounces of water with a dollop of dark karo syryp call doc first
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 6:24 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Great idea, tabi cat! It's not too late to breastfeed and it will definitely get rid of the constipation.
    Karri_B

Answer by Karri_B at 6:53 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Formula-fed babies get constipated because baby tummies can't digest formula. Breastfeeding is the best thing you can do for your baby, and will resolve the constipation issues. Hope your baby feels better soon!
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 7:06 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I've used Karo syrup for both of my children, and it works like a charm helping them have a bowel movement. Don't put more than 1/2 tsp. in each bottle, and put it in every or every other bottle until you get results. If your child doesn't have a bowel movement in the same day that you put the syrup in the bottle, then I would talk to the pediatrician.
    EMTMOM1024

Answer by EMTMOM1024 at 11:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2008