Does anyone understand cage fighting? Would you be okay with your son doing it?

So my friend BEGGED me to go to a cage match with her a few weeks ago. I showed up at the end of it. It was mobbed in there. I watched one fight that lasted 1 minute, he hit the guys so hard he was knocked out he then climbed to the top of the cage, stood on the top of the fence, screamed as loud as he could then somersaulted backwards onto the ground. I don't get it. Are we blood thirsty? Am I a baby? I guess when I heard the 'CRACK' against the guys head it was enough for me. For me it would be hard to support my son choosing something that makes him lose teeth, and get potential brain injuries for sport.

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 2:03 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• No way. My son plays ice hockey and that is brutal enough.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:06 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I CONCUR BUT WOULD BE SUPPORTIVE IF THAT IS WHAT HE CHOOSES TO DO IN LIFE I WOULD WANT HIM TO KNOW ALL THE POTENTIAL RISKS AND WHAT NOT THOUGH FIRST AND IT WOULD BE A FAMILY DISCUSSION.
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 2:07 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I can't stand to watch it anymore. I have 2 boys and I would definetely try to keep them from it, but I know I can't control their every move. It would drive me absolutely insane!!!!
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:09 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Honestly, my husband is pretty big into the MMA fighting, and wants my son to do it when he's older, but I say no way. I'm all for some sort of martial arts when my son is young, but he is not doing Jiu Jitsu or any sort of cage fighting until he's an adult, and I still wouldn't like it even then. I like watching it, but I wouldn't want to watch my own child fighting.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:10 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I have let me DD get into AFC fighting. She loves it!

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:10 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I couldn't go to the fights! I wouldn't want to see my baby get sat on and punched in the face over and over again! I'm not against martial arts at all. My kids took Karate. But this is gloves off, have at it fighting.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 2:12 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• No !! I hate wrestling!!! There's no way I'd let my kids do it.
    pinkflowerpetal

Answer by pinkflowerpetal at 2:16 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I don't understand it, and I don't really want to watch it. Two grown men beating up on each other for fun doesn't make much sense to me... However, if my son was an adult, and decided he wanted to do it, I wouldn't try to stop him. I'd worry every minute he'd be in the ring, but I do believe adults are allowed to make their own decisions.

And I agree with Musicmom, it's not the same as regular martial arts. I took karate and kickboxing for years, and loved it. I'd love for him to take classes in that too.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:18 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I could never allow my children to participate in something like this, however if they are over 18 all I would be able to do is express disapproval.
    However my DH is interested in doing mixed martial arts. He's a tough son of a bitch already, and I think this is just another "macho" thing he wants to do. Although I don't think I could go watch him get beaten up... or beat up somebody else. On the other hand, it might be payback for all the times he annoyed me... LOL
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 3:02 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• no
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:27 PM on Sep. 29, 2010