How can I prevent flattening to the back of my babies head?

My new health visitor has criticised me for "always" having my new daughter in her car seat (which in actual fact we don't). She has said that my daughter has flatness and reddening to the back of her head as a result of being in the car seat. I have found that this can also happen if the baby is in a crib/moses basket or pram. Is there any way I can stop this flattening - short of carrying the baby around every waking moment?

Louise78

Asked by Louise78 at 2:06 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Get a sling or another kind of carrier and wear your baby.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:07 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• tummy time....:) neither of my kids liked to be on their tummy but it helps muscle development and motor skills and keeps them from always being on their back
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 2:08 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• u just need to put her on her side occasionally and switch the way she is laying....its gonna happen though, and that person should realize that if they are dealing with newborns. You should call and get a new 1 because this chick doesnt know anything about newborns, and the last thing you need right now is some moron critizing u
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 2:12 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• you know LuvMyMedic.....it doesn't sound like that chick is a moron....not at all. Babies who stay in a car seat or a baby seat ,then spend time on their back while sleeping do develop a flat head.They need to be in a variety of positions or places AND they need to be held more often. Its true.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:18 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Tummy time and I hated carrying car seats so I usually had her in a wrap.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 2:18 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• tummy time!!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 4:00 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• You know Gertie41, I told her it was going to happen!...And if someone is coming into her home, they should know a damn thing or 2 about babies, before they try to make this girl feel bad that her childs head is a little flat. She cant go around holding her baby all the time, because that is just not good for either of them. Sure, make your child think that they need to be held all day long.....that will turn out well! Think a little before u type...
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 4:24 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Thanks for that LuvMyMedic3ID, try not to get all heated with Gertie41 thou lol. As u and I have both said I can't carry the little darling around constantly, the sling idea as riotgrrl suggested isnt practical as I have arthritis and a sling plays havoc on my shoulders as I have found out in the past. My daughter does get tummy time but again I need to think practicality wise. Thanks for all the suggestions thou ladies, it was good to get some advice on something that has frustrated me for a while.
    Louise78

Comment by Louise78 (original poster) at 4:58 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• you simply have to move baby from one position to another, on their sides, tummy and back... prop them up, carry them, rock them, etc... you don't have to carry them around... my girls are 2 and 3 years old, and neither had an issue with flat head... and neither were carried 24/7.
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:31 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Make sure that they get some upright or tummy time.
    SultryLadyBug

Answer by SultryLadyBug at 11:15 PM on Sep. 30, 2010