breastfeeding .... also in pregnancy but no answers yet

ok with my first baby my breast didnt get bigger. i didnt leak before he was born and i ended up not making enough milk for him only was able to do it for a month, but now im only 13 weeks and my breast have gone up almost a whole cup size and i have like little i guess dry pieaces(sp?). i guess it means im leaking noow but since they are growing and i guess leaking. is that good does that mean i may have an easier time breast feeding? im just wondering if anyone may know or had the same thing i really want to breast feed .

iloveyall2008

Asked by iloveyall2008 at 5:58 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in General Parenting

• you can breastfeed this time & could've also done it last time. just cause you don't grow or leak CERTAINLY DOES NOT mean you aren't producing. the ONLY ways to determine if baby is getting enough milk is by nursing ON DEMAND & counting to see that s/he has enough wet/poopy diapers for his/her age group & keeping him/her in a sensible weight range. feeling full, cup size, onces pumped, or whatever have NOTHING to do with production. kellymom.com is a great source. also feel free to ask me for help whenever. breastfeeding takes commitment, support & information. there are plenty here to offer support & information. commitment is up to you. you can do it!! =)
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 6:10 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• the problem last time was that after about a month my body just kinda stopped making it i didnt make enough at all id pump for like 15 mins and maybe have a drop so i had to do formula before that tho he had many diapers lol im just hopeingit goes better this time i want to try again
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 6:15 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• again, pumping is NOT an indicator. no pump can express the natural way a baby's mouth can. so pumping very little is very common. there may not be much coming out, but that certainly doesn't mean it's not in there. at about a month, your supply starts to regulate. it understands to make enough milk for your one baby. it's different from just after birth when your boobs leak all over the place, but again, normal. read my entire 1st answer. i promise every trustworthy bfing site will tell you the same thing. only about 1% of the whole world's female population can't make enough milk. that's usually from a hormonal disorder. the best way to make it easier/better this time is to be prepared & informed.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• CONTINUED have some bfing sites in your favorites. (kellymom.com, medela.com, breastfeeding.com), find a local LLL & attend a meeting, talk to the hospital lactation consultant after delivery, find a local lactation consultant to follow up w/ if you have problems, get some breastfeeding books (barnes & noble has a good selection) & there is a small handbook about nursing the 1st 2 months often given out by pediatricians or ob/gyns. & you can always come to me. i'm stll nursing my 1yr old who never recieved formula.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:00 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Honestly im not sure it makes a difference!My cousins breast went from a c to a ddd while she was prego and she didnt produce enough to breast feed!but mine went from a d to a dd and i produced so much i had to pump from the time i was 5-6 months prego!i fed my son every 2-4 hours and still had to pump often!it just depends on the baby and your body!if you are wanting to breastfeed then try talking to your doc about vitamins to help increase milk supply!or go to the heathfood store and get mothers milk tea!
    mommydabbs

Answer by mommydabbs at 3:04 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My friend went from a B to an F. And pumping does not tell you how much you are producing! Some women dont get anything from a pump, and still EBF their babies.
    MissesGoR

Answer by MissesGoR at 6:23 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I agree with the previous posters. The size of your breasts and/or leaking or not doesn't mean anything as far as how breastfeeding will go. And again, pumping is NOT an indicator of supply. Babies are much more efficient..

I highly suggest educating yourself, so that way you know what to expect, and what's normal, etc. Find some support, attend a LLL..Good luck!
    MamaCeleste0722

Answer by MamaCeleste0722 at 7:22 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• go by the diaper count NOT the pumping output. from what you say, you had plenty of milk.
    claireandboys

Answer by claireandboys at 1:41 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• What likely happened with your first baby was that your milk supply have leveled out. Once your body knows exactly how much your baby needs, you won't be engorged anymore and you will leak less. Some women can't get anything with a pump, but that doesn't mean you can't breastfeed, as all the pp have said. Just nurse on demand and count dipes. If your baby does have fussy spells it's most likely a growth spurt, in which case they will nurse more frequently to get your supply up to meet their needs. All will be well as long as you nurse on demand and count dipes, promise!
    Daynaof3

Answer by Daynaof3 at 10:52 PM on Oct. 23, 2008