Who uses the crock pot

alot? I have been trying to use mine more as my stove is gas & its expensive to use when simmering stuff, making soups etc. but sometimes I find it just doesn't taste the same as cooked on the stove even though ya do prep stuff on the stove first. Anyone else notice this? I know using tomato based sauces can be tricky any advice? Thnx...

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 2:15 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Wish I had some good advice for you! I'm going to keep an eye on this question to see if I can get some tips, too! :)
    arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 2:17 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I love to use it for Pot Roast:)
    3beautbabies

Answer by 3beautbabies at 2:20 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I DO IT ALL THE TIME LOVE THE EASE
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 2:17 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I use it all the time and love it!!!! Never noticed!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 2:18 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• http://www.slowandsimple.com/search.php
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 2:19 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I'm using mine right now. I use it 3 to 4 times a week. Everything I make comes out pretty good. I am making beef tacos right now. I use a shoulder roast, water, garlic, taco seasoning, and let it cook for 6 to 7 hours. It falls apart, it's really good. Maybe it's what you are trying to make? I don't have anyproblem with tomatoe base. I also make a great chili in it!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:20 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I think that everything made in a crock pot has a weird crock pot taste. Like almost everything tastes the same in a weird way - I can't explain it. I used to use mine more often when I worked but now I don't think I've used it in over a year.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 2:20 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Oh by the way, my crock pot isn't a regular one either. It has many different features on it, I can roast a whole chicken, steam ribs before I put them on the grill, or just slow cook or simmer. It plugs in like a crock pot but does a little more than a crock pot.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:23 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• The big problem with crock pot cooking is the tendency to over cook. Most crock pot recipes call for six to eight hours on low or three to four on high, whereas I've found that most food is done in one-two hours on high, three at most on low.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:26 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I have never experienced a 'crock pot taste' It makes me wonder if there isn't a crack in your glazed finish on the crock. I make tomato based sauces in mine all the time without an issue. I use mine more in the summer because it is too hot to use the oven. Everything from chicken soup to BBQ to Chili. I even make pumpkin bread in mine during the holidays. If things are tasting the same I wonder if you are over cooking or under seasoning.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:26 PM on Sep. 29, 2010