Suggestions for introducing a sippy cup...we need help!

Our son is a year old and is having a hard time using a sippy cup. He doesn't get that he should suck on the top. He bites it and takes the cup and beats it off things. I've tried every kind of cup. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They have cups with straws. I'd use those, and then switch to a sippy or a regular cup.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 6:15 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• straws-is-what-we-use
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 6:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Patience. Mine took a while to catch on. I finally switched to cups without valves to start with, like the ones in the "Take-n-toss" line. Since they don't have to suck on these, it is easier for them to grasp the tip your head back and let liquid flow into your mouth concept. Since they are a little messier, I stuck with water. Once she figured that out, I switched to sippy cups with valves (the Gerber ones).
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:28 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• my son did the same thing at first, just keep giving him only the sippy cup, dont go back to the bottle and he will learn... i promise it will work... they will chew on it because it feels good on the gums but they'll learn..
    stasia4

Answer by stasia4 at 8:47 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Couple of things that helped me was to take the valvue out and help guide the cup. Once my daughter realized milk was inside, she was willing to suck to get the milk. but she didn't understand she had to tip it up, so we used the Nuby straw cups. She did great with those. ... until she learned how to stip the cup up. I'm hoping once she's a little older she can use them again.
    Anonymous

• We used the straw ones, it is the only one my son would drink from, and as soon as he started drinking from it, we took his bottles away...he never saw them again.
    BoobiePrize

Answer by BoobiePrize at 10:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• We introduced Noelle's sippy cup at dinner time, when she could watch us drink from our cups. We also used the ones w/o the valve so she had to tip her head back much more like the motion we make drinking out of real cups. Just keep trying. It also helps a lot if you eliminate the bedtime bottle first (if he still takes one).
    baenglishwc05

Answer by baenglishwc05 at 10:24 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• my 1yr old has no interest in the sippy. just boobs for milk & a straw or sport bottle for water. maybe start there.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:12 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• We use the gerber 1st step sippy cups. The handles are eazy for toddlers to grab onto and the valve comes apart and is easy to clean. also, you don't have to waste time aligning the lid with the cup to make sure the mouth part is in the front. Ethan took a while to get the hang of it. We would put diluted juice in a bottle and full strengh juice in the sippy cup. Once we started that he figured out how to sip pretty quick:)
    also, we always leave a sippy cup of juice or water available for him throughout the day (just no more than 4-6oz juice/day, though)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:24 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I jsut figured if she can hold a bottle...She can hold a sippy cup.
    I took the bottle away cold turkey, gave they cup...she refised..
    But after a while she got thirsty.. and trust me they will rather drink the cup than starve.

My friend , she put water in the bottle and started putting milk or juice in the cup..
    she said, ptu the bad n the bottle, n the "good stuff" in the cup...
    shadysyrup313

Answer by shadysyrup313 at 1:12 AM on Oct. 23, 2008