my 8 month old had a fever all night...how can i cool her down?

She had a temperature of 103.4 last nite...it's down to 102.3...but it seems like it's going up again.

Tatigurl808

Asked by Tatigurl808 at 1:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Room temperature baths. (not cold cause it is bad for the heart) Also I wet hand towels and cover them with them so they cool down. My DD is is 2 had a 104 fever the other day. And I gave her a dose of Motrin and then did the cool bath and laid her in her diaper and the cool towel and she was cool within 2 hours. Also rotate with tylenol and motrin. Give tylenol then after 4 hours give motrin. My kids have HIGH fevers 105.5 was the highest and she had a febrile seizure cause it spiked sooo fast. We were in the mall and ambulance took us away. Scariest moment of my life!! But thats what the dr's recommended to me. Also LOTS of fluids. Hope that helps.
    Mama2MagnEm

Answer by Mama2MagnEm at 2:04 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• alternate tylenol and motrin. call the doc if you haven't. Warm sponge baths. check it out: old fashioned method is to put chopped onions on the bottom of their feet and cover it up with socks! a poster in another group swears by it! But do have the baby checked out by the doctor in case there is infection in the ears, urinary tract, sinuses etc. she may need antibiotics.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 3:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• no nothing cold it can make her more congested rub some eucalptus oil on her body and try to stay away from dairy except for her formal or breast milk no cold drinks nothing and lots of distilled water and motrin or tylenol i wouldn't recommend giving them a cool bath i stay with warm and warm her clothes up i know you want to cool her down but i found with all my kids they get sicker if i leaving them only in there diaper they sweat more and get sicker soo i keep them wraped up if there to hot then a light cover and i would take her to her docs
    Anonymous

• Give her tylenol, 4 hours later give her ibuprophen, 4 hours later the tylenol again, etc.

As another mom said, a room temp or slightly warm bath. You can also hold her while you take a cool shower.

Be sure to let the doctor's office know. They may want to see her.

Once her fever is below 101, don't treat it anymore. Her body makes the fever to help fight the infection. Getting rid of the fever completely takes away that ability.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I wouldn't give my kids a cool bath after a fever like that it tends to make them more congested inless they have been sick with it a couple days if its more than 3 then yes the bath since htere not as weak. i would only do it in the day time if it was sunny and let i put there clothes in the dryer so it heated as well as low diary products and tylenol lots of distilled water helped my girl
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 9:59 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• GIVE HER TYLONAL THAT SHOULD WORK
    ADENSMOMMY123

Answer by ADENSMOMMY123 at 6:33 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• GIVE HER A WARM BATH NOT TO HOT NOT TO COLD MAKE IT JUST RIGHT
    ADENSMOMMY123

Answer by ADENSMOMMY123 at 6:34 PM on Jul. 10, 2008