Required surgery for deadbeat parents?

Another question got me thinking, would you support requiring a woman to get her tubes tied after having so many kids that became wards of the state? What about a man who had kids he refused to support?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 2:27 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• If they agreed, It should be a covered service by ALL insurance companies!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:30 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I have to say I would. I know a woman who is in her late 20s, has had 7 children with 9 pregnancies. None of those kids are in her care, all have been taken by the state. Wouldn't it be cheaper to pay for getting her tubes tied? Wouldn't it be more humane than to continue allowing her to produce drug addicted babies?

scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 2:30 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• YES!!!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 2:32 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Yes. In fact there was a case not to long ago where the judge gave a woman (who had lost 5 children already and was pregnant with #6, who she had already lost custody of) a choice of jail time or having her tubes tied... I am ALL for it... Not only am I all for it but having a father who continues to have children and walk away from them I feel after a parent has lost or abandoned 2 children (not 4 or 6, but 2) they should be ordered to stop having children.

I'm all for choice, and a person's freedom of choice, but when those choices are causing harm to others the law should have the right to step in and take control... If you abandon your child, you are affecting another person just as much as you would if you were abusing them... Personal freedoms should not interfere with the freedoms or rights of others.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:33 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I've talked about this with my husband before, and think it's a good idea. I mean seriously, what are they losing out on except the ability to reproduce which they shouldn't be doing in the first place. People have their freedom taken away daily by being put in jails and prison's, why not take away the freedom of procreating.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 2:35 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Sounds a little facist to me.

Sorry...i don't want to live in a country that can perform unwanted sterilization surgery on me, regardless of the reason.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:51 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I do not believe in giving the government control over people's reproductive choices. I think that presents a lot more serious danger to society than a few deadbeat parents do.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:53 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I was just thinking of this. What about the women who kill their children. I was reading an article about a woman who threw her baby in the trash. They figured who the mother was, then connected her to ANOTHER baby, she had previously left on the side of the road. Luckily that child survived, but when found was covered in ant bites. I would totally be in favor of sterilization for those kind of people.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 2:56 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I agree ScoutMom.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:57 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Try telling that to children who have siblings they will never know because of foster care. Or the children found too late. The children who almost die before being found. There are far more than a few dead beat parents. I know someone personally who is on court mandated BC. She has 2 children both now adopted to different families and have never met. Her son is 7 and was taken before he was 1 and all she had to do was get a job and take parenting classes. instead she got pregnant again and lost that baby at birth and now that baby is 6 and she has NEVER met her mommy. She can not have children until she takes the required classes and has a safe house for a baby..she will never have another baby!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 3:04 PM on Sep. 29, 2010