What type of research have you done?

Besides the suggestions and advice found on CM and other similar websites, have you done any other research as far as your child is concerned? I know some hospitals provide educational classes as far as baby care, breastfeeding, etc. goes. Did you attend any? Did you read books on specific topics: sleep habits, eating habits, behaviors and discipline?

ivansmom07

Asked by ivansmom07 at 6:38 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in General Parenting

• ooh i love this question i can't wait to hear the answers.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 6:42 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I started out as an Early Childhood Development / Education major in college, before I had children. Once I was pregnant / became a parent I read just about evey book I came across and took from it what made sense to me based on my own theories of parenting combined with my knowledge of child development.
    dsteiner23

Answer by dsteiner23 at 6:44 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Breastfeeding. I have had help from an LC outside of the hospital, LLL, and WIC. All 3 have been immensely helpful and supportive :)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:47 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• When I was pregnant my boyfriend and I took a Lamaza Class at the hospital where my son was born, and I bought a book " What to expect  the first year" I thought it was great and helpful.

http://www.whattoexpect.com/first-year/landing-page.aspx

MOMMY2JOSHUA

Answer by MOMMY2JOSHUA at 7:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I didn't do any. I parent mostly on instinct. So far the only thing I've run up against I needed to look up were illnesses otherwise we figured everything else out on our own through trial and error.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:20 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I read books on breastfeeding (including "Spilt Milk" when it didn't work out for me), sleeping ("Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" was a godsend), a wonderful book about how the mind develops ("What's Going On In There"), attended a potty training class for parents (a little bit helpful).
    I also find it very helpful to skip ahead a category or two. Mine is a toddler but reading the questions and answers in Preschool and School-age gives me a heads up on things to come and sometimes has things I can answer or that are helpful now.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:24 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• BOOKS!! The public library is awesome!! Can just borrow what I want to read and then return it later...no cost!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:09 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Like justanotherjen I went on instinct. I looked at a couple of books when I was pregnant with my first but I didn't agree with them so I just did what I felt was right. If I had a question I would ask my mom or the pediatrician. My kids are healthy and happy.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:42 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• depends on the issue. There are a lot in reputable sties with great info. The ped. has great advice and I did a lamaze class which was relatively useless. I had a baby sitting class in high school which minus the birthing videos was much like the lamaze class. from that and working in a day care I knew a lot about babies, diapers, putting them to sleep, etc. Mom's a good source too :)
    Anonymous

• I read books, went to classes through the hospital, went to parenting classes through my church.
    Rebeccalynn_dj

Answer by Rebeccalynn_dj at 12:23 AM on Oct. 23, 2008