Ladies!! When you are looking for a Stylist, what stands out to you?

I'm building my business. And public insight means the most for success! What do you look for? What stands out? What are your expectations when searching?

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 2:30 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Nice. No wild hair w/ funky colors. Listens to me, but also offers opinions.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:39 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• As a stylist, I seek someone who is an advertisement in their own right. (you know what I mean, someone up to date, but not tooo overly crazy with their own hair, I don't want to walk in and see my new stylist with the dolly parton hair look). Someone who fits my needs and styles, organized, and clean, and well advertised helps too. (I don't necessarily mean in the newspapers, or tv ads, etc, I mean more as far as the business is easily located, and there is a very CLEAR sign and good parking). I prefer any stylist that works from home to have a clear separation from home in their work space, such as a remodeled garage, best is separate from the home entirely.

This is all appearance based right now obviously. I also like a see a stylist carrying brands they know and love and will vouch for( I hated some of our products while in school so was difficult to retail some of them).
    continued below:
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:13 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• personality:

I want someone honest with me, who knows how to handle my hair needs. I know my face shape, skin tone, hair line, collicks, etc.. but as a stylist you should be aware of them from the moment I first sit in your chair. So basically pretend I'm ignorant of such things, be aware of them and talk with your client first about likes and dislikes about their hair, etc. Then make suggestions on why this might work better than this. a good stylist will have a thorough consultation before the service and after (for styling tips etc).

Remember a lot of women aren't aware that face shape, skin tone, hair lines, collicks, whirls, texture, density, play a role in the design of their hair, and it's up to you to educate your client on why certain looks work for them while other's won't. If you give me a cut that won't work for me, I wouldn't come back.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:17 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• if you are trying to build clientele, try a coupon deal.. bring in a friend and you get half off your next trim, or free mini mani's for those that bring a friend in, etc.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:19 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I ask for friends with great hair to recommend me. Then I go in to have a consultation with the stylist and I judge them based on their salon, their look, and their personality.
    SDMama77

Answer by SDMama77 at 4:35 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Someone who is confident, outgoing and proffesional. Someone who can tell me honestly what would be best for me but still listen to me.
    mochamomof3

Answer by mochamomof3 at 11:43 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Nice, professional, not scissor happy, LISTENS to your needs, dresses nice & gentle
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 1:28 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My sister is a stylist but she lives on the other side of the country. I am looking for a stylist now and honestly I want someone who LOOKS good because that makes a big impact on whether or not I feel they can make ME look good. I also pay attention to pricing. I refuse to pay 60 dollars for a haircut.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:21 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Someone who is like me.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 2:57 PM on Oct. 4, 2010