what to do about the stepdaughter issues?

My soon to be stepdaughter ignores me when her father is around like I am not even here. If I tell her to do something she doesn't even look at me and it's like she didn't even hear me granted her father does step in and make her do what I have said but it is driving me crazy. Also anytime her father is showing any type of affection towards me she finds away to revert it to herself going as far as to squeeze herself in between us during a hug. how do I deal with this disrepectfullness

goodperson1us

Asked by goodperson1us at 6:41 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in General Parenting

• How old is she?

You cant expect any child to accept you right away. It will take time, sometimes years for the step child to get used to you and for you to get used to her.

slcurry

Answer by slcurry at 6:55 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• She's probally scared that when the two of you get married that her father will stop loving and caring about her. It is a very big change and a very scary one for children. From the sound of it she sounds fairly young still. Allow plenty of one on one time with her take her to the movies or to go have a "girls day". Let her know that she's not losing her dad to you but that she's just gaining a new person to love her. Blended families come with many challenges just be patient with her and she'll eventually come around.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 6:55 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• i have a 17 yr old and 19 yr old both step daughters and they havin been pulling that stuff for 10 years now and it doesnt stop unless u make him realize it....not saying he will because mine on ly sees what he wants to ....sorry...
    IHAVE6

Answer by IHAVE6 at 10:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2008