How difficult is it to travel with a 9-months old and breastfed baby? Have any of you gone on an airplane with a 9-months-old son especially after the airport security got more stricked? How difficult was it?

We are trying to figure out our Christmas plans this year, and our son is going to be about 9 months old at that point and his grandparents live in Pittsburgh, PA. Thus, we are trying to figure out if it makes sense to fly to Pittsburgh.

Svetlana98usa

Asked by Svetlana98usa at 2:32 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Travel

• I've flown with only a toddler before and I've flown alone with a three year old and a four month old before. It actually was much easier than I expected. I only ever flew at night, when I knew they would be sleepy. I nursed on the way up and the way down, so my son's ears would adjust naturally. Since it was always at night, they usually slept most of the way. Really the hardest thing for me was being able to pee when I was holding a baby and keeping track of my toddler at the airport.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:34 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I took a 2 week car trip plus a plane ride from Seattle to L.A. with my son when he was 8months old and exclusively breast fed. Can't say it was difficult at all. Of course this was before the hyped up security but if you pack your diaper bag according to regulation ahead of time and wear shoes (on both of you that are easy to take off/put on) than I don't see a big problem.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 2:35 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Oh, and I never had trouble with airport security. I didn't ever bring a stroller and I checked our carseats. I walked through the airport with my baby in a Bjorn front carrier on my chest while I held my toddler's hand.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:36 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I've done it. It is easiest to gate check your stroller. That way you can wheel her right up to the gate. It's not so bad. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:40 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Unfortunately, our son doesn't care for the Baby Bjorn. I was able to put him in it for a very short periods of time at a time. He let me do it for like a total of three times since he was born in the last six months. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
    Svetlana98usa

Comment by Svetlana98usa (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• If you're not shy about it you can nurse on take off and the descent to alleviate pressure for the baby. I flew with a 6 month old and it was really a breeze. I took her car seat and stroller that it snapped into and had her in this all the way to the gate where I folded it up and the airline staff "gate checked" it for me so it would be right there waiting at the gate when our plane landed. Security was easy, too, because they had a separate lane for families. They had to scan the stroller and stuff but they all knew what they were doing and were helpful. They are also more loose with rules about bringing liquids - check with the airline but you can bring enough formula or pumped milk, or medicines, etc in your carry on as long as it is reasonable amounts for the travel time. If it was me I would choose flying over the hassle of a car trip if given the choice. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:45 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I've flown with my daughter at 5 months, 6.5 months, and 12 months. I nurse her during takeoff and during the descent to help with her ears. The first two trips I used a Moby wrap and on this last trip I used a ring sling where I had her ride on my hip. Then my husband carries the diaper bag. I bring an empty reusable water bottle and once I'm past security then I fill it up at the water fountain. Not all airports have separate lanes for families. I've actually only been to one since traveling with my daughter. That was LAX. We gate checked our carseat because we don't trust the airlines to not lose it. I can handle not having my clothes when I drive away from the airport. I refuse to drive away from the airport without a carseat. The first two trips I actually borrowed car seats from people our family knew and trusted. Also borrowed a stroller the first trip. CONT.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:57 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I take enough plus some extra diapers for the actual traveling, then I buy more when I get there. You can bring food, so pack snacks. You just can't bring liquids other than the 3 oz in a zip lock bag.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:02 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I traveled to Egypt with 2 stopover both to and from with my son when he was 6 months (going) and 9 months (returning). At the same time I also had my 1.5 yr old too. It was really not that bad. I recommend bringing a stroller (not an umbrella one) because you can pile up baggage have a place to put baby and even a place where he will be able to sleep while waiting for the flight. You can bring it all the way down the runway and they will store it for you and bring it back out for you waiting when you get off the plane. Bring a baby blanket and a few toys or baby books but if you nurse during take iff it will help with not having the babies ears pop and cause pain. Same for landing. My son fell asleap after nursing so your baby could end up just napping peacefully the entire flight. One benefit of flying with babies is they usually give you a bulkhead seat so then you'll have more leg room too.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 3:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2010