How to get a 2 year old out of my bed?

ok before you go hollaring that i shouldnt have allowed her to sleep in my bed help me!!

shes been in my bed since she was three months old, ive tried converting her bed in to a day bed, ive even went as far as buying her a toddler bed, but she just wont sleep through the night in her bed, now its to the point here she has to sleep on top of me to fall asleep, ineed help! desperatly! How do i start to get her to sleep in her bed....

hailsmama

Asked by hailsmama at 1:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why don't you lay in HER bed with her till she falls asleep and gradually leave her bed earlier and earlier till she's used to laying down with out you. Or if you still have her crib (If she ever had one) then put her in there and let her cry it out.
    karma30

Answer by karma30 at 2:17 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• i would just put her in her crib and let her cry it out.. she will be ok. it will be hard for you but its for the best.
    Mrs.Cox

Answer by Mrs.Cox at 2:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Try putting her bed in your room. Start there, make her stay in her bed. Yes it will be hard for her and you to deal with, but it has to be done. After a while and your daughter is sleeping in her own bed. Then try putting her bed in her room. You'll have a few long nights, with no sleep, but in the long run, it will be worth it. Good luck!
    mamakell1174

Answer by mamakell1174 at 2:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• ive tried the cry it out method, she just gets to upset... thats why im lookin for other suggestions. we have a toddler bed, i bought her dora sheets and everything her bed is in my room. and nothing is working.
    hailsmama

Answer by hailsmama at 2:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I am in the same situation as you. My son is 15 months. He slept in his crib for the longest time. But for like the past 2 months he has been in w/ me. My husband sleeps on the couch. It is awful!
    Robbies_mom316

Answer by Robbies_mom316 at 2:56 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I like the idea of staying with her until she falls asleep. You can gradually switch to sitting next to her bed instead of lying on it, and then to staying by the door until you are finally out of the door. Of course, this assumes you have LOTS of time to sit around and do nothing. Not every mother does.

I'm sure there are lots of picture books about this. You might try reading some with her. Then, when you put her in bed, remind her of the story and let her know that this is HER bed and she needs to sleep in it. When she comes to your bed in the night, carry her back to hers, give her a kiss, and leave. Don't discuss anything or remind her of anything - don't talk at all.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:59 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Put her in her bed and tell her she has to stay there from now on. If she cries, let her cry. She'll fall asleep when she gets tired enough. She won't remember any of it a week later, let alone when she's older.
    HMiller68

Answer by HMiller68 at 4:49 PM on Jul. 3, 2008