anyone ever go to a sleep clinic?

i may have sleep apnea and have to go overnight to a sleep clinic, what is it like?

driftwood

Asked by driftwood at 7:11 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Health

• You will have multiple wires glued (painlessly) to your head. There will be a device used to measure your breathing placed over your mouth and nose. My room and bed were quite comfortable, yet I only slept an hour or so. I have insomnia! It is nothing to fear....just a lot of gadgets and then you go nighty nite!
    Good luck...hope you don't need a CPAP!
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 7:18 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Well, from a retired respiratory therapist... MommasCooCoo is correct... CPAP is continuous positive airway pressure... It's a mask that delivers a continuous pressure of air (like oxygen masks)... If your sleep study reveals you to need one, you will probably do a repeat study to determine what amount of pressure you will need for your settings. It is not very comfortable to sleep during this study, so you may want to make sure you are plenty tired when you go in.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 7:29 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• i hardly sleep more than an hour at a time, and i have to go to the bathroom quite frequently, do they provide a close private restroom? i have never stayed away from my husband or daughter overnight...so, i will try. i am a very restless sleeper. they don't watch you sleep do they? that is kind of creepy.
    driftwood

Answer by driftwood at 7:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I was just diagnosed two weeks ago with sleep apnea. To answer your question they do have camera's on you as well as speakers so they can hear you. My husband was able to go with me but he had to sleep in a seperate bed across the room. I am still trying to get used to my c-pap machine. If you are a restless sleeper the chances some of your wires might come off are good. The tech will come in and reattatch you. The glue stuff they use in your scalp is very hard to get out so make sure you take some Shampoo to wash your hair real good. Hope that helps. Good Luck.
    DeclansMom300

Answer by DeclansMom300 at 2:38 AM on Oct. 23, 2008