When have the candidates disagreed with their parties?

I'm looking for a break down of when McCain has voted against his party and when Obama has voted against his.
I want to see if there is a pattern of which issues they cross party lines for. Sometimes that can tell you a whole lot more from looking at disagreements.

Anyone know where I can find this info? I haven't had any luck so far.

kaycee14

Asked by kaycee14 at 7:19 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• The Washington Post has a comprehensive break down at this url:
    http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/110/senate/party-voters/

You can click on both Senators (of course you can click on Biden too) and get a summary of 'major' votes as well as see a list of all votes.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 9:26 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• McCain has gone against his party on environmental issues (greenhouse gas emissions), and he supported the surge in Iraq before his party got behind him. He also is differing from his party on how to handle the mortgage issues now. McCain tends to desire harsher and tighter regulations for the interrogation and treatment of war criminals than the rest of his party. Drilling in ANWR is another issue that he differs from the GOP in general. GOP generally supports it, McCain is against it.

As far as I know Obama has agreed with his party 100% of the time. But I will be curious to see if anyone can point out any specific times that he has.
    Anonymous

• I agree with what anonymous stated regarding McCain. I know that Obama's record shows he voted with his own party 97% of the time, but I honestly cannot say that I can figure out what he differed with them on that 3%.

This is a really interesting question! I would definitely like to hear where Obama's differed with the Democratic party and what else others have to say about McCain.
    MammaMiaMA

Answer by MammaMiaMA at 7:34 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• kaycee, i emailed your question to my husband. i looked for a few sources but i don't have time right now to do an accurate search.
    i am assuming you want actual reports that you can view on their vote records.
    my husband is a reference librarian and i'll get back to you with what he finds. :D

"McCain tends to desire harsher and tighter regulations for the interrogation and treatment of war criminals than the rest of his party"
    this is something i really respect him for!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 7:41 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I know Obama has been against this war from the start. I don't know how the Dem. have felt, but you would think if they felt the same the war would be over.
    Anonymous

• http://www.votesmart.org/bio.php?can_id=9490

here is a link to votesmart, here is obama you can look up McCain too. -'
    '
    pandermom

Answer by pandermom at 7:58 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Im looking. I actually at one time found a place where you could check which bills they voted on and which party had proposed the bill.. I will do some looking and see if I can find it again
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 8:01 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/members/m000303/votes/

dang there is another actual Senate or .gov site that you can check ANY Senator.. Im still looking
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 8:05 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• http://www.votesmart.org

check all voting records for every senator and congress person
    pandermom

Answer by pandermom at 8:06 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• You gals are so AWESOME.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2008