Married/single Tax refund

I was single with my dd thru most this year. I am getn married end of oct (whoo hoo!!) What will this do to my tax refund? If we file together will it take into consideration that we were only married 2 months?

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 2:43 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• it will still count since you married before the end of the year.. so you can still say married :)
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 2:45 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Being married won't make a difference if you still claiming single and 1.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:46 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I get a large refund for my income and being single. I dont want 2 months of marriage to affect my 10 months of single income..know what i mean?! Will I still get a big refund or should I file single for 1 more year?
    ria7

Comment by ria7 (original poster) at 2:48 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• First, the amount of refund you get at the end of the year depends on two things:

1 - What did you claim during the year? If you claimed that you were single with one dependent, they took out a certain amount of money... MORE than if you actually file that you were married.

2 - How do you file at the end of the year? If you are married on the last day of the year, you are considered married for the whole year.

So, if you had your pay withholdings set at single, one dependent during the year and file your taxes as married with one dependent, you will get a bigger tax refund.
    inkedrunner

Answer by inkedrunner at 3:00 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• No, it looks at your marital status as of the end of the year.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:37 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I would check with a tax advisor about this. In your situation, it may be better to file married but separate taxes. You may be able to get an idea of what to expect from an online calculator- http://www.hrblock.com/taxes/tax_tips_calculators/index.html

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:54 PM on Sep. 29, 2010