my Ob said the baby's head is big, does that mean something abnormal?

I'm 30 wks now, and saw him in u/s and doc said he's head is a little big. Hope it's not an autism symptom ....

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 2:51 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• bigs heads are not autism symptoms!!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:53 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Some babies just have bigger heads, don't worry Momma!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 2:53 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Have you been tested for gestational diabetes?

My kids all have had big heads and none of them have autism.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:53 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Autism is not diagnosed until much later, I think toddler age at the earliest. You can't tell by looking at a baby whether or not they will develop autism.
    It could be indicative of hydrocephalus, however if your doc didn't seem concerned I'm sure baby is fine. After all, babies come in all sorts of shapes and sizes!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 2:54 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• As long as that is all he said,I would not worry,he was just making a statement. U will probably have a hard time pushing the baby out.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:55 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My son has a giant head... His head is always around the 95th percentile, while his height and weight are in the 50-something percentile. He's absolutely, 100% normal. He just has a giant head. I like to think it's because he has a massive brain, heh.

I did have to have a c-section because of his giant head though. It was tilted sideways, and he never even entered the birth canal.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:59 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• mine is three
    when we go to doctor, nurse once remeasured her head because she thought no way it could be that big
    i said, no need to measure, it is, runs in my family
    sister has two girls, both big heads, her youngest is on genuis scale
    other is smart, not genuis but very smart
    mine is big headed, she has autism
    i did not know this was a sign of sutism, it is with my daughter but not woith sisters daughters

i would not worry about autism, i would worry if you can have nature, may need c section
    my sister had nature and THEN doctor said wow huge head, should have done c section

so no autism worry
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 3:01 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• all my babies had big heads. i remember when my second child was crowning the assistant midwife whispered much too loudly "that baby has a BIG head." all three of my boys had heads the measured in the 95% for circumference. they are all fine. it's genetic, just like some people have big feet. no worries. .
    rfurlongg

Answer by rfurlongg at 3:06 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Yeah def not an autism symptom autism doesn't have any physically feature issues that go along w the diagnosis and if they thought there was something wrong they might have oreder another sono or other testing I was told my baby has a tiny head but she is tiny and the said its still in the normal range
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 3:12 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• If it was something wrong your doc would have said something or done more tests. They told me my son had a big head by feeling it thru my abdomen. He did..lol..Still does. Hes 15 months old and no autism signs so far.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 3:59 PM on Sep. 29, 2010