3 year old won't use the potty.

He was doing so well at first. We are at a loss for what to do. We thought we had the perfect incentive--he wants a big boy bike for Christmas. We told him that you can't ride a bike if you are still in pull ups, but he refuses to poop in the potty. We ask him frequently if he needs to go, he sits on the potty and doens't do anything and then, 15 minutes later he poops in the pull up. He knows what he's doing. He cries if we put him on the potty and he thinks he doesn't have to go. He's just now 3.5. What else can we do?

hrhkatrina

Asked by hrhkatrina at 7:40 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well, I think you are doing everything you can do... I would definately make sure he does not get that bike though... Keep using it as an incentive and reminding him Christmas is just around the corner....
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 9:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• My 3-yr. old is doing the same thing.... Keep trying to get him to go, he'll get it eventually, we got three out of 4 boys potty trained, not giving up now.
    Maddape48854

Answer by Maddape48854 at 10:36 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• i no this sounds mean but my son loves diego so we bought him diego underwear and told him if he went in them he would hurt diego and wouldnt be able to watch him no more and we told him diego liked big boys who went potty
    trista24

Answer by trista24 at 7:43 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Girls train sooner than boys, the AVERAGE age at which boys train is 3 and a half, so don't stress! Maybe you are over-doing it. If he picks up that this means too much, he may rebel. Pick up John Rosemond's "Parent Power!" This is like my parenting Bible! Let him poop in the pull-up while on the bike, that will be uncmfortable enough to convince!
    bekabunnie

Answer by bekabunnie at 11:10 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My son is almost 3 and we too, were doing so well, for about 2 months. Always going on the potty, holding it till we got there, the whole nine yards. Sadly, we are back in pull-ups. I'm hoping we get back into the "potty" swing of things before December and his 3rd birthday. Good luck to you and if you find some magic way to potty train, please let me know!!! :)

dustinsmom1

Answer by dustinsmom1 at 1:08 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• First, dedicate an entire weekend to this project. You are doing nothing else except poop training the entire weekend!!!! Then watch at what time of day he usually poops in his pull-up. Make a note of this. Next, get something he really wants spend like $20 on an awesome toy. Put it in plain view. At the time of day he usually poops in his pull-up do this. Use his favorite stuffed animal or muscle guy and have him poop out a raisin into the toilet and then give muscle guy an m&m. Do the potty dance and high-fives and big hugs for muscle guy. Ask you son if he wants to go poop in the toilet like muscle guy did and earn the prize you picked out. Do this both weekend days. If this doesn't work, he's not ready.
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 4:14 PM on Oct. 23, 2008