my nephew has sensory disorder-help with understanding?

that is what the ot that comes for speach says.....he will be 3 on the 30th and doesn't talk too much but has been better with the ot......can anyone give me more info on this.....he likes to twrill grass, cotten between his fingers and he follows his shadow but he does this for a long time over and over...he can spin a wheel on a car for ever.....he puts his hands on his ears alot when he gets upset or ther is a loud noise......any help would be great thanks so much....i just want to be able to understand this more....

cheryl370

Asked by cheryl370 at 7:40 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in General Parenting

• My son has sensory intergation disorder. The OT was an angel. Keep up with the therapy...it does work. There are several groups on Cafe Mom of fellow moms who can give you tons of help and advice. If you put in "sensory" under search in the groups are they will all come up. I have also read several books for information. One that I highly recommend is "The out of sync child" and "The out of sync child has fun". These resources are invaluable. Feel free to message me for anything else that you may need.
    Take care!
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 7:49 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• U mite try webmd.com. They have alot of useful info. on just about everything.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 9:03 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• My best friend's son has this, and I am also his babysitter. "The out of synch child" is an awesome book to read! As for the loud noises, he doesn't know how to process what he is hearing, so it frightens or shocks him and therefore he covers his ears (my friend's son can have a total meltdown when it come to noises). He and my daughter have the same dev. ther., and they explain it as a short in the brain...like the senses are misfiring and the information can't be processed by the correct part of the brain. My friend's son doesn't talk much, and they have said he has speech apraxia (which is basically what I just explained about the brain..it applies to the speech as well). There's a group on here called dev. delays....check it out. You can learn tons in that group just by reading the posts. I hope this helps a little bit.
    LizClara

Answer by LizClara at 9:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2008