Low Hcg levels....help?

Around 3 weeks ago, I had a positive pregnancy test on a Saturday. Went to the doctor that Monday...they did a Beta HCG and it came back negative, but took another home test and it still showed positive. Monday night I started cramping and bleeding bright red blood....went to ED on Tuesday to be positive that I was miscarring bc I had positive test and negative HCG serum, my levels at the ED were at a 7 for Hcg. Bleeding stopped Tuesday...was asked to repeat HCG Quantitive on Tuesday. I was curious so over the weekend took another test...still showed positive?? Had my labs done Tuesday and they increased from 7 to 101. Set up gyn appt. and went for my appt today (week later), went for ultrasound and no gestational sac or signs of pregnancy are apparent. I still have the symtoms of tiredness, frequent urination, metal mouth, and increased appetite. Confused?

xavcay

Asked by xavcay at 3:21 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• weird..keep talking to the gyn, until you get it all figured out. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 3:24 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Hysterical pregnancy...your brain really wants you to be pregnant.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:25 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• An hCG of 101 more than 3 weeks after getting a positive seems awfully low to me... It's odd that the level INCREASED though. I would imagine they will need to continue the beta tests and see what the numbers are doing... If you're very early, it IS possible they wouldn't be able to see much on the ultrasound yet, especially if you have a tilted uterus (I do, and at 7 weeks they had a really hard time finding anything by ultrasound).

If you did indeed have a miscarriage, your pregnancy symptoms wouldn't necessarily disappear right away, especially if you still have hCG in your blood... Are they scheduling a follow-up beta test for you?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:26 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I could be what they call a false pregnancy. Where u want a baby so bad your body thinks it is pregnant. My mom experienced one of those. U gain weight,get all the symptoms of pregnancy but no baby. Sorry!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:27 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• What did the doctor say? Here is what I found online

Caution must be used in making too much of HCG "numbers". Ultrasound findings after 5-6 weeks of pregnancy are much more predictive of pregnancy outcome than are HCG levels

http://www.advancedfertility.com/earlypre.htm

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:29 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• It can't be a hysterical/false pregnancy with her hCG levels. Anything under 5 is negative, anything between 5-25 is inconclusive, and anything over 25 is pregnant. Yes, one can have all the symptoms with a hysterical/false pregnancy, but you can't "create" hCG in your blood... It could be an early miscarriage, but she definitely WAS pregnant at some point.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:31 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I am waiting on them to call me back with my Beta Hcg results....this is so confusing. I never had any issues like this with.my son....my cervix is slightly downward and to the right. Surely its not a hysterical pregnancy....wasn't quite ready for another one but i am concerned about my health and if an etopic pregnancy may be going on, causing these issues...and not being able to have answers really blows my mind!
    xavcay

Comment by xavcay (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Gailll: He said i may have miscarried the day i went to the ed or its too early to see....he said levels at 101 typically would put me around 4 weeks and my last LMP was August 15th....I bleed one for one day Sept 14th (day i went to ED)...no bleeding since, levels were at a 7 on Sept 14th. Sept 21st levels were 101 and still positive urine.
    xavcay

Comment by xavcay (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• That is what I think this may be...I think it may be an ectopic pregnancy...Have they even considered that possibility...I would run your opinion by the doctor and make him check and make sure that is not the situation
    lazo060109

Answer by lazo060109 at 3:40 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• lazo060109: I had a u/s today...my first thought when i didn't see the embryo right away was ectopic or miscarriage....she scanned over my ovaries, the dr didn't mention a ectopic siting during the scan. Usually they would be able to pin point that.
    xavcay

Comment by xavcay (original poster) at 3:46 PM on Sep. 29, 2010