Boy I babysit is 4 1/2 and not potty trained...any ideas for his mom?

If he is not accident-free in preschool in 30 days, they are booting him out! She has tried Fruit Loops, Cheerios, Stickers, Candy, even Bribery with a bike....but as soon as she got the bike, he started wetting himself again.

niknik78

Asked by niknik78 at 3:27 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Talk to his pediatrician. By that age, she should be able to tell him why he needs to go potty and he should be able to do it. It seems odd to me that he wouldn't be unless there was some physical or mental barrier. Is he still in diapers/pullups or is he in underwear?
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:29 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Just setting a schedule should be a huge help. Every two hours put the kid on the potty until he uses it. If he needs it, set up a table with toys, books, crayons, etc in front of the potty so he can play while he waits. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 3:31 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• She has to take the diapers away completely. Never go back. Stay home for a few days and just concentrate on going potty. She should take him every half hour to start. He'll get it. The key is to never go back (except at night).
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:32 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Well I just finished training my 3 year old. He refused to use the training chair that sings and all. We let him pick out a insert that snaps onto the reg toliet so he can do what everyone else does. My son also finished his training in three days! Prior to buying a green turtle from Target!
    lovinmy3babies

Answer by lovinmy3babies at 3:33 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• She did call the pediatrician. They said there is nothing they can do that she just needs to be consistent and re-enforce. He was in underwear for the most part, but he kept having too many accidents, so pull-ups at night and underwear in the day. But he had 2 accidents at school yesterday and 4 at home last night and then 2 today at pre-school again.
    niknik78

Comment by niknik78 (original poster) at 3:33 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• If he could do it for the bike and then went back to not being potty trained then there isn't anything physically wrong with him. The bike should be put away until he is potty trained. He may not like asking to go to the bathroom at preschool. Being "booted out" of preschool may be a good thing. He may not be ready for group experiences. Decreasing his daily stress and teaching him stress management may be what's needed. The reward for going to the potty should be internal not external like food or stickers. I used to do a funny potty dance. It was fun and kids like it.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:37 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I agree that she might need to take some time at home and focus on only potty training during that time. I've been struggling through this with my toddler and it seems like what she needs most is attention. Maybe it's the same for her son?
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 3:48 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Could be needing attention...she's a single mom with a nursing career. She tries to hang out with guys when she can, drink beer when she can, and I think he gets put on the back burner a lot...but she seems very concerned about him "moving backwards"
    niknik78

Comment by niknik78 (original poster) at 3:52 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I would talk to his dr.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:29 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• You might have answered it exactly when you posted a second time. She has put him second to her needs. Can you have an honest conversation with her and talk about this? Good luck! And thanks for being concerned for that little guy.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:07 PM on Sep. 29, 2010