My daughter who is 2, has the worst tantrums ever. What are some good methods to calm her down and get her to do what I ask?

Jaden is strong willed, when she doesnt get her way she throws a fit.. and I mean a serious one..

heyhey4

Asked by heyhey4 at 3:31 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Redirecting works sometimes for my monkey. if she wants to do something that she isn't allowed to do, I give her another alternative. When that doesn't work and she does throw her fit, I ignore her. Don't let her think that this will work. Tell her Mommy can't hear her when she screams and that Mommy doesn't understand whine. Good luck. Time outs are often effective discipline for children that age. However, you have to make sure you can be consistent and stick to your guns. If you say no and she throws a fit, she can't then get what she wants. Be firm, but not harsh. It will get easier.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:34 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Sometimes with my son when he throws his tantrums (He screams and cries till he's out of breath and gasping more out of fear than whatever started the tantrum) I have to pin him down, (seriously like sit with my leg over him and hold his hands so he can't hit or punch, I fold his arms over his chest and just hold him, until he stops screaming) Then when he's done, I pick him up, tell him I love him, and try with the distraction. Sometimes, sending him to his room does the trick. He'll go in there, scream for a minute until he finds something to distract himself, and then it's over. GL! Every situation is different, and sometimes, the tricks only work once.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 3:39 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• @ mom1stepmom1 Yea I do that.. I have tried that and still do.. if I hand her something to redirect her she will chcuk it across the room, and her fits are ignored but it seems she can care less, she just screams louder like someone is trying to kill her... I did start sitting in a time out oarea and it worked but now my challenge is when I put her in it she immediately gets up, and carries on her tyrant.. what are some good ways to keep her there, and how many times do I march her right back to the time out spot?
    heyhey4

Comment by heyhey4 (original poster) at 3:46 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• @ BisketLiss Yea jaden has taken fits where I am like waiting for her head to spin around. LOL and if I try to hold her and hug her it only makes her more mad.. like right now I am typing this to you and she is taking a darn fit cause there is a commercial on instead of her cartoon and she is a breakdown lol
    heyhey4

Comment by heyhey4 (original poster) at 3:49 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• i have a 3 yr old daughter who is still doing that! idk what to do either!! ive tried what the other comments said, and ive also noticed its worse around nap time, so we cant go out in public during the afternoon(too embarrassing)
    VERONICAS_MOM

Answer by VERONICAS_MOM at 4:15 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• @ Vernonics Mom Yea I have tried several things.. I believe I have a daughter that is set in her ways and if she wants to be mad she will be.. I know its a stage but like you said.. its embarrasing.
    heyhey4

Comment by heyhey4 (original poster) at 4:40 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My son sits in time out if he has a tantrum... he isn't allowed out of time out until he's done crying, no matter how long it has been. His time outs usually last 4 minutes... it takes him 2 minutes to cry and then 2 minutes to calm down enough to come back and play.
    We have a time out pad that alarms if they get up... my son caught on the very first time and has never tried to get up again. Also, the time stops if they get up... so if it's set for 2 minutes and she keeps getting up then the time won't finish until she's been there the whole time! Check them out...
    http://www.amazon.com/Time-Out-Pad-HD015-Blue/dp/B001IMG5WG
    And here is a video on how it works... it's very simple, it seems silly, but it works!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8XQWOHNgWg
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:56 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• @ AmiJannell I will have to check that out.. Ok question.. when your son gets up how many times do you march him right back to the time out spot? Cause My daughter will get up alot
    heyhey4

Comment by heyhey4 (original poster) at 5:00 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Before we had the time out pad... constantly! He wouldn't stay in time out at all, it was such a pain.
    But now... it's not an issue. He got up and it alarmed, I told him he better sit back down... and that was the end of it. He has never tried to get up again! I swear, it worked like magic!
    I put him there, tell him he's in time out, and walk away.... it works better to walk away because then they don't pay attention to you... my bet is the first time you use it she will get up, but if you aren't there the alarm might scare her... come back and tell her to sit down, the alarm will stop... and hopefully she will make the connection between the alarm and her bottom being on the pad.
    My son was probably 18 months or so when we got it, so maybe starting it earlier helped, I dunno, but it's worth a shot!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:28 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Welcome to terrible 2's ;)

Not much you can really do if time-outs and taking away favorite items works. Could talk to the child or spank. If you do not spank then not much I can offer :)
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 6:36 PM on Sep. 29, 2010