If smoking makes one a bad parent what other dangerous things would make you a bad parent?

http://christo-witchhot-mama86.blogspot.com/2010/09/smokers-dont-love-their-kids.html

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 3:32 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Letting them so swimming in a lake or a pool... Look at all the germs that are in the water.... *gasps.* So parents who make that choice to let them go must not love their children.

Or people who just breathe, must not love their children either.. since you know anything can kill you, you can walk across the street & get hit by a car...

I agree with the blog...

lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 3:43 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• We all have our 'vices'... It's the vices that kill, I don't understand... Good Parent, Bad Parent.. It's not that.. I just can't wrap my mind around why anyone would want to partake in anything that might shorten their lives... And why they, as role models, want to validate certain behaviors.... I, personally do not smoke. As a child~I watched my aunt, grandfather, and great aunt fight lung cancer and emphysema and they all died... That was all I needed to say, nope. Not for me... I can't imagine why a parent would want to slowly kill themselves in front of their children with smoking, drugs, etc... Alas, to each their own, I suppose...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:56 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• . The reason I can't the one I spoke of is the actually claim that smokers don't love their kids.

I think they love their kids. I just question how much they love themselves, their bodies, and their lives...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:05 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Why does smoking make you a "bad parent"? I would think that neglect, abuse, withholding affection, not showing interest in a child's education, cursing in front of the child, not providing a stable home life, or a host of other things would make you a bad parent. Smoking.............I bet the same people are in favor of legalizing pot. I guess it depends on what you smoke.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:45 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I think smokers love their children...I just think they let their addiction "cloud" (no pun intended lol) their view of what should be done for the best of their childrens health....just like many other things.

I once saw my boss drive for over an hour breastfeeding the whole way....that to me is just as dangerous as smoking...if not more.

But I can NOT put safely driving a car in the same category as smoking. Driving a car is a necessity for most people, to get to the Dr, grocery store, etc. Smoking...as much as some people think it is, is not a necessity.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:13 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My mother smoked while pregnant with me. It caused major damage to my respiratory system. She continued to smoke in the house, around me, even after the doctor told her it "was killing me." She chose not to stop.

Was she a bad parent, or do you find this acceptable behavior?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:37 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• i think that quitting smoking is a very hard thing to do. im trying to do it currently. ill go 2 days without a ciggerate, and then give in and smoke one, and i keep doing this over and over again. but i know that eventually i will get it, and its going to be soon too. i think that parents who smoke around there children, are bad parents. i think that parents who do drugs, are overweight, smoke, take part in any reckless behavior, and DONT CARE, DONT EVEN TRY TO STOP, are not the greatest of parents.
    my mom is overweight, and its kills me. its like a weight on my shoulders knowing that shes unhealthy and could die of a heart attack at an early age. shes on a diet now, & exercising but before, when she wasnt, i used to get really upset at her that she didnt care about being healthy to be here for me and her grandchild. i dont want to do that to my son, so thats why im trying so hard to quit. & so yes i agree with you.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:41 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Your obsession with pushing smokers rights just weird. You know it is not benefiting your health and still you push it. Good for you, keep smoking if that is your wish, but don't bitch and complain that other moms are against smoking around kids.
    On a side note, spell check is your friend and when making a losing argument, you need to have all your ducks in a row, including spelling and grammar.

I can agree with some of your points, but you really have chosen the losing side of the smoking battle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Drinking to the point of being drunk, not watching your young child playing, leaving your child locked in the hot car, leaving your child alone in the house, cooking meth, using illegal drugs
    collegemom123

Answer by collegemom123 at 4:01 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Why does smoking make you a bad parent?

Now those parents in Indonesia (I think) who were lighting their toddler's cigs-THAT is a bad parent.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:15 PM on Sep. 29, 2010