How can you best support someone with cancer?

Cooking, cleaning, prayers etc. Any other ideas?

Dreamsambit

Asked by Dreamsambit at 3:47 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Health

• I think it depends on the person. Let them know that it's okay to talk. A very close friend is dealing with her husband's cancer, and she says that I'm the only one who asks her questions and lets her talk. She doesn't talk about it not because she doesn't want to, but because she feels like people don't want to hear about it, she's being a 'downer'. I think people are afraid that she doesn't want to talk about it, so they don't talk about it.

I'm sure the same is true for many cancer sufferers. Some need to talk, some don't want to think about it. Let your friend know that they don't have to talk if they don't want to, but that you are available to listen if they want to talk.

And, all of those every day things, cooking, cleaning, errands, things we take for granted......they mean a great deal.....
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:02 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Cancer is a scary word. Cancer can be very easy or obviously very serious. I had cervical cancer and all I needed was a half hour surgery. I never call myself a surviver. At the same time I had other medical problems, a newborn and 2 othr kids the I needed help with. The things that were the biggest help for me was help with kids on days when I had to go to the hospital for treatment, grocery shopping, gift certificates to food places that deliver, & picking up perscriptions if I was too sick to drive. Ask what she needs. If she says she doesn't need anything or doesn't know ask her to think about it and then ask her again in a day or two. Sometimes something that is easy for you to do would be really difficult for the person in crisis. I wish your friend well.   

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:04 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Dont' treat them any different then you would anyone else. That is the best you can do for someone suffering with a disease or illness. Talk to them like they have years left in their life, joke like they're not sick, and just be there for them. If they ask you to do things for them, or if you think you can help them by cooking/cleaning then that's okay too. But don't treat them differently just because they're sick.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:50 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Be a good listener.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:58 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• helping with the everyday things that they are too weak to do, and try not to talk about the cancer, in my experience it's the last thing they want to talk about
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:49 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• A good friend of mine is a breast cancer survivor. She has thanked me many times for just being there for. Sending cards, talking to her, lending emotional support. We (the family and I) walked with her last year for the American Cancer Society Making Strides Against Breast Cancer 5K walk and will do so again this year.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:50 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Do things for them that they can not do for themselves.

Answer by louise2 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• No idea. But if you come up with any good ideas that work from several states away, let me know. My step-niece has cancer. She's been in the hospital about a week now. When she went in they told her mom and husband they expected her to have 1-7 days. So, well... just waiting for the call. She's surrounded by lots of family and friends, etc. and I feel a little useless in terms of helping them out since I'm so far away.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 4:12 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• just being there for them will help alot
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 3:22 AM on Sep. 30, 2010