catch 22

So we don't supposed to give our kids junk foods but when they cry for it in the store we get dirty stares.

Thoughts?

Not a personal problem, just curious of what yall think.

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• If I don't want to buy my kids chips and candy and they get pissy, its really no one elses business. If they give me a dirty look for it, I am not going to melt or burst into flame. What other people think of my parental choices really doesn't effect me. No matter what you do or where you go there will be someone who won't like it, so I just keep doing what works for my family and if someone doesn't like it they can keep not liking it or get over it.
    ivy102381

Answer by ivy102381 at 4:01 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• my kids are well behaved in the store thank god! but if i did have this problem i would not care what strangers at the store thought.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:56 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My DD is so used to me saying no, that not getting junk food does not bother her. She knows she has to earn her junk food. I don't stare at anyone or what they're eating. It's not my business. I only care what my DD eats.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:58 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My kids are old enough now to know to behave in the store (11 and 15). Honestly, though, I don't care what other people have to say about whether or not my kids need junk food or what I buy. We use our own money to buy what we want to eat and it's not any one else's business. My kids are not obese and they are not under fed, if they get a little junk once in a while it's not a big deal.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:24 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Ignore the stares.You're their parent.Not the people staring.You can't go threw life caring what other people think of you all the time.
    Danielle_Nicole

Answer by Danielle_Nicole at 4:45 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• DS is pretty used to me saying no.

He knows the time to get junk is when DH is with us (they put all kinds of stuff in the cart that isn't on the list).
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:00 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• That's a discipline issue. My kids never cry in the store for any thing.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:05 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I think that most parents get stares is not because the kids are crying for junk food but because they are crying....Its this kind of thing that bugs me too....A parent who has children that do not behave the way that other parents believe they should be gett dirty looks or even rude committs made....JUDGEMENTS on what is right or wrong way of parenting...Its not how they do it so its wrong...
    sharonnacy

Answer by sharonnacy at 4:08 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My child has never whined for junk food in the store. He knows I would spank him. He does get to eat the occasional treat so, no need to whine.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:28 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I'm weak. If I have my kids in the store, I'll buy them a treat. It's too tempting to show them all those goodies and they can't have any.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:04 PM on Sep. 29, 2010