Have you or someone you know been sexually harassed, abused, threatened?

I am curious how you dealt with the situation. How did you get out of it? Or are you still in it?

freyjawire

Asked by freyjawire at 4:06 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• I have been sexually harassed many times, but one particular situation comes to mind. When I was 16, I worked at a restaurant. One of the managers, a huge, 60 year old man would always try to touch me. Once, he came up behind me, put his arms around me really tight, and told me, "I talked to your dad and he said it was alright if I wrestle you o the ground and sit on top of you". I was dating a guy I worked with and the manager, not aware of it, would always make sexual comments to him and the other guys about me, talking about how my boobs would bounce and how he wanted to grab them...and worse things. Lots of other things happened as well. I told my parents. About 2 weeks later, there was an investigation, and 7 other girls came forth and said they had been sexually harassed by him. The guy got fired. I come o find out, a month later, that my dad actually got the entire investigation started but didn't tell me, lol. Go dad!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:10 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Thank you for your response! Way to Go DAD!!

I unfortunately got some boys fired from a lifeguarding job, reporting their dysfunctional behavior throwing tampons at me and arriving guests. They felt disgruntled that feminine hygiene products were being stored discretely under the towel kiosk so that the girls who would use that as an excuse to not show up to their posted positions had fewer excuses. None of the staff were required to be certified for lifeguarding or CPR. Which is why one little girl drown. Negligent management means more than neglectful staff.
    freyjawire

Comment by freyjawire (original poster) at 4:25 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I was raped when I was 13 years old by my 14 year old cousin. I did not tell my mom until I was 17 years old. Nothing was ever done and that is how I wanted it because that cousins mom had been raped herself and I could not cause her that kind of pain. I probably should have spoken up but I just couldn't. I very rarely see this cousin and when I do We stay at oppisite ends of the gathering. I admit I have a hard time trusting men but I have not allowed it to ruin my life either.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:38 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I've been raped, sexually harrassed, threatened and abused. I stood up to him and didn't back down after he threatened my life, numerous times. He backed off, eventually. I showed no fear, despite the fact I was scared.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I've been sexually harassed. I worked at a little Italian restaurant when I was 16. The waiter harassed me. It got bad one night, my parents were there for dinner. I quit. My parents took me home. My mom and I barely got out of the car before my dad was out of the driveway on his way back to the restaurant. My boyfriend at the time, he was a soldier, went up there, too. But the waiter was gone. IDK if my dad got him fired or what. I never went back.
    This guy my hubby used to work with at our last duty station harassed me, too. He would corner me, literally. We just got there, and hubby was an instructor. It was a whole different kind of unit, and he was told it was extremely strict. He didn't know how to handle it, work wise. I finally had enough, and told the guy if he came near me I'd kick him in the f*cking balls. Really loud. He left me alone.
    I've also been harassed other times, by other guys. Kinda just in passing.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 5:38 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Raped? I had a boyfriend that was hurting me, I asked him to stop. He wouldn't. He said he was almost done. I don't know if that counts. It wasn't rape in the traditional sense, and I don't say it was, I don't want to downplay a rape anyone else has gone through.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 5:40 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Damn, what's wrong with me. Threatened. Yes. My ex husband threatened to kill me. And my parents. He also held a loaded gun to my head. Told me sometimes he wanted to shoot me. We were laying in bed, talking at the time. He was playing with the gun, and he, just held it to my head and said that.

I'm done now.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 5:42 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Yep I have I was in my 20's and working at a nursing home and the custodian there kept telling me he wanted to take my pants off and F*ck me he was like 60 then I told the supervisor and I had heard he was doing it to a bunch of other girls also but he was a Church going Christian so nothing was done I didn't tell my dh then either cuz he was an old man & i didn't want to be responabile for his death he died several years later just sat up in bed and then fell over of a heart attack. not good enough but that was the punishment he got
    A few yrs ago the milk man at my school said about the same thing tried to get me to come to his town and meet him I didn't say anything but several other ladies did and while he still works for the company he's not around lunch ladies.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:24 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I have been sexually harrassed when I worked at the hotel in Boston and I was date raped 12 years ago. The person who harrassed me was very bold and brazen and had already been in trouble with HR and they wouldn't fire him, just move him to other departments. I was called in on a case to answer questions but I didn't really know anything about it. Well, when it happened to me, I found out why they wouldn't fire him. He told me when he was touching me (god, I get goosbumps thinking about this) that if I say anything to anyone, he'll "cry black man". I'm not starting trouble, that's a direct quote. So, i knew why he wasn't fired before and sadly, I didn't say anything. I just stayed FAR away from him. If he was at the elevator, I took the stairs, if I had to deliver a fax to a guest on his floor from my offices, I had someone else do it. I was utterly disgusted by him and the company for allowing it so I left.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 9:56 PM on Sep. 29, 2010