Do you host Thanksgiving/Christmas at your house?

We don't, we always go to DH's parents' house. Maybe if I had a nicer house (and furniture!), LOL.

Anyway, if you do, how much planning is involved. Do you get help from other family members? My MIL always asks everyone to contribute something, like drinks or help make a dish or something.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 4:07 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Holidays

• Nope, a couple of years ago I did Thanksgiving because my parents were going to be in town (they lived in Indiana at the time and we live in Oklahoma). My MIL ended up inviting her whole family to our house as well and criticized my cooking the entire day. The year after that I wanted to do a small Christmas at home and she ended up inviting herself and her whole family once again. That was our last holiday at home (and that's why I love Halloween - no extended family!)

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:14 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• thanksgiving will be at our house this year because it is also DS's birthday!
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:08 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• i hosted thanksgiving last year. the only prep work i did was the food. we dont go to over the top with holidays.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:09 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I've done it a few times. But it was always a small gathering, seven of us at the most, so not much to deal with. My mom contributed pies and the yams for my dad (who was the only one who would eat them). I did all the rest.

These days, it's typically only the three of us since my parents have both passed away, and I suspect I will be working that morning... so we'll keep it simple. In fact, we might just go out.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:14 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• We always host both. Our house is neutral, and I like it that way so the little guy is comfortable and in our own home. (He won't rest anywhere else). Everyone brings something, we do the big stuff but its kinda a pot luck thing
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 4:15 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• No. We don't celebrate Thanksgiving neither does our families. I don't celebrate Christmas, and neither does my side of the family, so my DH takes the kids to his sisters usually. I usually make a big celebratory dinner for Yule, but I think this year I will be having a baby, so that's not gonna happen...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:15 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Just immediate family.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 4:38 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• We hosted Thanksgiving at my house for the first time last year. Everyone helped out with the cooking and cleanup.
    This year it will be hosted at my Older sister's house. And the same as when it was here, we will all help one another out.
    We all come in a day early, so we can get up early on Thanksgiving Day and get to work with all the goodies.

Christmas Day is spent at my MIL's house and there isn't much to do for breakfast. She cooks.
    Christmas Day evening is spent at my house with my parents and we haven't done anything spectacular. This year we'll have a big dinner though I hope.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:38 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I do both and my I do it with my parents. We split the grocery bill in half and I do most of the cooking myself with a few items prepared by them.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:44 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I used to love to have it at my house but not much anymore. I tend to be very short tempered with certain members and really don't want them in my house. I also don't have ANY patience for the kids either. Their parents do not make them behave and I do not want them in my house for very long. I allow them to come in to visit their great-grandma (my MIL) but I do my best to usher them out as quickly as I can.

Plus, they are extremely loud and my husband has serious health issues that include severe migraines that lead to seizures so the less time they are here, the less chance of them making his migraines worse.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 5:46 PM on Sep. 29, 2010