Traditions

What family traditons do you have for Thanksgiving and Christmas? My SO's family seems to think that we should spend it with them on the days and i would like to spend them with our kids. Our oldest is 2 1/2. What do you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Just for Fun

• A Christmas tradition my family has always had is opening one gift on Christmas Eve. I always loved it and thought it was a very special moment, so I definitely think it is something that I will carry on with my own daughter.
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 8:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• We had Christmas Eve as our little family thing. Christmas Day was at (ex) hubby's Mom's house. When we separated and divorced, I kept the Christmas Eve, he took them on the Day. Even now, at ages 28 & 26....they still assume Christmas Eve with me.
    Thanksgiving they are always with me, as that's our favorite holiday of the year.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:06 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Thanksgiving: We do the every other year thing. one year DH family, the follow year my family, then the next year DH family....

Christmas: Christmas Eve: My family; Christmas day: home; New Years: His family. (That is because my DH brother got a divorce, and he no longer has his daughter at Christmas). BEFORE, DH brother and his brother divorce it was Christmas Eve: My family; Christmas Day: His family
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:16 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• We ussually spend Thanksgiving & Christmas EVE with DH family. And spend Thanksgiving & Christmas DAY with my family...... We live with my mom & the family comes to her house for the holidays ... But if we lived alone.. We would spend Thanksgiving EVE with Inlaws. Thanksgiving day at our house (inviting family to our house) or At moms house... Christmas EVE with DH family.. Christmas morning ALONE as a family, and then go to my moms for the rest of christmas for dinner/ swapping presents or everyone would come to our house instead of moms...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:28 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• We always like to spend Thanksgiving with my parents not just because of that day but the next day we go to my parents candy-store when my Dad starts making candy canes (there is nothing like it). I have grown up with it so I passed that tradition of going to my children and every year it still amazes me. In a couple of years they are going to retire and so will that tradition. Christmas we like to stay home as a family but we have only been able to do that once so far- this year we are going to my parents. Another tradition I have given my children (and my niece and nephews) is I buy a Hallmark ornament every year for each of them. When my kids have their own house they will have those ornaments for their own trees with a special memory for each.

candygirl1030

Answer by candygirl1030 at 8:48 PM on Oct. 22, 2008