Have you ever suspected your child off a mental disorder?

What did you do to confirm/ validate or alleviate your suspicions? What have you done to help your child?

freyjawire

Asked by freyjawire at 4:09 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would contact my local school district and ask what services are available.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:12 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• what do mean by mental disorder?

we suspected autism and yes she has
    but i do not think autism is under this classifaction
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:18 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Yes, she was diagnosed with Selective Mutism. Basically she has a phobia of speaking to strangers. She's getting over it slowly but when my DD was younger the only people she would talk to is immediate family.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:19 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Yes, for quite awhile now. I finally got him in to see a psychiatrist after 3 years of counseling and PR, all to no avail. They are putting him on meds for anxiety, which I am not all together thrilled with, but he is still going to counseling and I am hoping that this will do something to help him.
    mamakat13

Answer by mamakat13 at 4:31 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• No, but the teacher did and we had to get all kinds of testing done and in the end there was nothing wrong?
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 4:34 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• mammakat13
    please check out all possible side effects longterm short term for medications and always pay close attention to behavioral changes. Some people do well on meds. some meds do no good by anyone. anti-anxiety drugs are far less milligrams then bipolar, antidepressant drugs usually less harmful. Though Drs do follow the money and will support what ever drug the reps have been selling them on, and will/do prescribe bipolar/antidepressant/ schizophrenic medication for anxiety. Look into ex drug rep stories. Every FDA CEO has previously been a drug co CEO. That's like putting a sex-offender in charge of the Sex-crimes division of the police department. There are no ethics in this field. the correct counselor is best also, if you haven't seen results interview some new ones and try them out, you child will let you know if they are good or not. results are key! WebMD reviews of drugs can help.
    freyjawire

Comment by freyjawire (original poster) at 4:57 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• flatpax There are so many different levels of mental ability Autism certainly counts. Check out this awesome human being! http://templegrandin.com/
    freyjawire

Comment by freyjawire (original poster) at 5:00 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• ok freywire (neat name by the way)
    i just have not heard autism referred to as mental disorder
    but they keep changing the political correct way to say everything

i know different level for each child
    you can read all the signs and some fit some do not
    but sometimes you just know, and we did at 2 ish
    at three confirmed by PhD, but therapists with birth to three and IEP for special school before PhD put his signature on it
    will check out your link
    thanks
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:42 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• no
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:24 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I never suggested autism was a mental disorder, I was making the first response to this question I was attempting to give positive feed back and resources to. seems this is still too taboo a subject for many people to discuss however and taking something defensively personal is natural for any subject that is culturally touchy. I find if this topic contiinues to be breached fewer people, adults, senior adults included will be less likely to die from systematic public drug testing with easily FDA approved medications. any pharmacuetical which can provide the correct amount of money to be indorsed is approved by the FDA whom all CEO's of have been former drug company CEOs and have a heavily bent bias for money. Currently our vetrens who are being diagnosed with emotional diease are being freely fed medications for schitsofrenia, when they have ptsd nightmares in large there are several severe known side effects.
    freyjawire

Comment by freyjawire (original poster) at 2:35 AM on Nov. 18, 2010