If you wanted your child to volunteer in your community, what would you want them to try?

nmmama09

Asked by nmmama09 at 4:20 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• There is a therapeutic riding center here I want him to help at, its mainly for children with autism. So he can see that he is fortunate to be healthy. Also I want my kids to work at a homeless shelter/soup kitchen on Thanksgiving so they will understand what it is to be truly thankful. I think I am going to make it a Thanksgiving tradition.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 4:22 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I used to do a lot of volunteer work with my mom at the local no-kill animal shelter. We cleaned cages, walked & played with the animals, and fostered newborn kittens.
    I'd have my kids do something similar.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 4:22 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• That depends on how old they are. There are several options. The nursing home always needs people to come and read or sit with the elderly. The animal shelters always need help. Those would be my first two choices.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:22 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I would have him help out with the homeless
    pinkdragon6987

Answer by pinkdragon6987 at 4:22 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Anything working with the elderly or keeping our area clean. We have a great church group who goes out and helps people by doing odd things like winterizing windows and doors, painting, cleaning yards, stuff like that.
    Alamama

Answer by Alamama at 4:25 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I've been dragging 4y DS to a soup kitchen and a shelter i work at a few times a year since he was born.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:25 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I'd want my child to only volunteer if it's something they want to do. I want my children to enjoy their volunteer work, to be passionate about it, to give it everything they can to make it worth it. For themselves and the people they're helping. So whatever that volunteer work is, is what I'd wnat them to try.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:32 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• The Animal Shelter. I'm a huge advocate for the shelter. They need volunteers to feed, clean, water, and walk. It saves money for other things.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:42 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• anything they were interested in, so that it would be fun for them
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 4:44 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My kids were in scouts and did community service with scouts. For my son's Eagle Scout project he went and talked to groups of adults about the importance signing an organ donor pledge card and he got over 1000 people to sign cards. One of his troop leaders died waiting for a heart. He had been an EMT and somehow got endocarditis that damaged his heart related to his job as an EMT. This was 15 years ago before you could have on your driver's license that you would be an organ donor. Another leader from his troop had died waiting for a liver.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:47 PM on Sep. 29, 2010