What would you do?

I took my 2 yr and 3 yr to the store...we were cashing out when my oldest was playing with the bags....She was not pulling them off or ripping the up...just touching them...The cashier took it upon herself to smack my daughters hand and tell her not to touch it...
Well, lets say at this point...Thank God my kids would be there otherwise I might be in jail right now...Either way I looked at her and told her to get her manager that until then I was not going to move....to make a long story short she was fired and now the cops are involved...but What would you do? Do you think you have the right to punish someone elses children? Do you think that anyone should have that right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• holy hell! my jaw just literally dropped. I am not sure I would have been able to control myself. I just might have jumped over the counter & beat her ass. You handled the situation very well IMPO.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:30 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I am so glad to hear the outcome. You should never slap a strangers child - especially in that situation. She wasn't a friend who gave your kid a swat for trying to touch a hot stove...she was an employee who had no right to even look at your child sideways. I would have done exactly what you did.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 4:36 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• That would be a negative!!! No one should be punishing my children unless I give them that right!!! I got mad reading this!!!! Some random stranger should not be laying their hand one your child at all!!!!

I'm sorry this happened and hopefully she has learned her lesson!!! Good Luck!

~Alyssa M.
    Helping Moms Work From Home Since 1999!
    www.4theLoveofMyFamily.com
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 4:36 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Nobody has the right to physically punish anybody else's children!!! Even if you are taking care of them, the most I would allow a babysitter to do is put my child in time out, NEVER would I allow anyone to spank my child!!!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 4:38 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I work in a Hotel. I do the continental breakfast, and clean the dinning room. I have to put up with kids all the time. I just let them do what ever they want. I might  look at them  sternly. But that is about it. 

Saying something to some one else's kid is ok but physically disciplining them? No

Answer by louise2 at 4:42 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• did she smack hard or just swat at her? Laying hands on her isnt right at all I'm jsut wondering if it was really a smack..I cant imagine someone doing that at a store!!!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:36 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I COMPLETELY agree with you...if anyone touched my two girls I would do the same thing you did. I don't care what she tought she was doing but she should of respected the fact that you could handle it. Great job!
    KayAZ

Answer by KayAZ at 4:41 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• You did the right thing.  No one has the right to hit your child!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:48 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Working in our local grocery store, I see all kinds of kids and parents. If I see a child doing something destructive or dangerous, I simply walk by and say "Please don't do that" and usually the parents take over from there. Never in a million years would I even think of touching a stranger's child. Should she have lost her job over it....maybe, maybe not. Do I think the police should be involved...to me that's overkill. Your daughter got her hand swatted, she didn't get beat.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:48 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Honestly, I would have done the same thing. Had she not been removed from the store I would no longer shop there either.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:46 PM on Sep. 29, 2010