if I were to make an infant sized tutu?

I'm wanting to make an infant sized tutu, how big should the waist part of it be?

prego_jessi

Asked by prego_jessi at 4:48 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• About half way down to her knees, perhaps? or just out about 4 inches?

Answer by Bmat at 4:50 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• the waist should be stretchy or sizable. I would use your daughter's clothes as a guideline.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 5:02 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I made a zillion tutus when my daughter was little (I was a dance mom). I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, so I'll just tell you how I would make an infant tutu.

First a word of caution: Some of the stiffer tulle fabrics can be very scratchy...even cut (like a paper cut), so use the finer bridal tulle, and if the child is truly an infant, I would fold it double, lengthwise, then encase the gathered raw edges in something soft and flexible (like a lightweight fleece).

To get the fullness you want, you will probably need about 5-6 x her waist in length (before gathering).

So, you start with a piece of tulle, about 12" x 60" (assuming a 10" waist) and 1"x11" strip of soft, stretchy fleece. Fold tulle lengthwise, so it's 6" x 60". Gather the raw edges to about 11", and zig-zag onto the 10 center " of 11" fleece. Trim tulle seam allowance & fold down fleece to encase it. Attach (zig-zag) to a leotard/onesy. TADA :-D
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 10:29 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Measure your infant & make it a little bigger for chubby babies-or use drawstring. Sounds like fun, Mama!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 2:50 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• measure around her waist and double the amount so you have a more fuller and larger volume.... also measure from her waist down to how far you want it to go plus a little bit more for the mid seem to insert the rubber waist band. remember the rubber waist band again should be an inch or so smaller then the original waist because you don't want it to fall off her and the rubber will stretch anyways. cut out the material......fold over the top part as wide as the waistband will be and sow or hot glue together ....sow the two ends of the material together leaving a little opening on top for your waistband to insert. get the waistband and attach a safety pin on it use this to threat through the mid seem...hold and sow togheter...close up that little hole and you are done....it's that simple. good luck...
    Ladyblue38

Answer by Ladyblue38 at 9:58 AM on Sep. 30, 2010