Did anyone watch the Dr. Phil show today regarding Men being forced to be fathers?

What are your thoughts on this....The case in point was regarding a young male who had consensual sex with a young woman and she ends up getting pregnant and decides to keep the baby...she is trying to get support for the baby etc. and the young man has gone to court to say that his rights of not wanting to be a father are being violated and that he shouldn't have to take any responsibility for the baby?....I personally believe that if you go into a consensual sex situation and you 100% don't want to become a parent you should either have your tubes tied or a vasectomy first otherwise you take that risk knowing full well that a pregnancy could occur whether you want to be a parent or not? Any comments?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with you!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:20 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I think that if the father signs away all of his rights to a child then he should not be forced to pay child support. Yes, the father should have tried to prevent the pregnancy but nobody forces a woman to support an unwanted baby.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 8:24 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• if he didnt want to be a father then he should keep it in his pants .... same thing happened here my ex didnt want to have our son but 3 years later he tried to take him away from me saying he was ready now i was liek ya ok after 3 years i dont thnk so ... lol
    Anonymous

• what's good for the goose...if you can force by law(outlaw abortion)a woman to have a baby, then you can force a man,by law, to support it. if its legal to have the choice to not have the baby, it should be legal for the man to have the choice not to support it, otherwise. neither scenario makes sense to me, i'm just playing devil's advocate. we cry 'its a woman's choice!', but our next cry always seems to be 'he's the father! he should pay up!' nope, doesn't make sense to me.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I agree. If he didn't want to be a dad he should have taken steps to ensure it wasn't a possibility. Even a signed "pre-sex" agreement stating that he doesn't want to be a dad and any baby that results from the sex is not his responsibility would help his case. As it is - he did the deed and can't regret the results afterwards.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:35 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• My DH was with a woman (when we have been seperated for almost 1 year) and this woman got pregnant on purpose!! She wanted to have a child, no matter what. She told my husband that she is on BC pill and they also used condoms - hers! She cheated on him she cheated on her husband and who knows with how many other men she cheated on. Now she says my DH is the father of her child. There is nothing more my DH could do, besides using a condom and to believe her when she said she is on BC pill.

so I dare to say that my DH is forced to be a father and I hate it. Even more I hate this woman. I despise her for doing that
    We will know if it really is his in january.

We are praying every day that it wont be his.
    Anonymous

• Oh and this woman KNEW that my DH did not want to have anymore kids.
    Anonymous

• if people would think about sex, before they do the deed..if people would wait to engage in sex, until they really knew someone's wishes ..they might not get in these situations. you can use all the birth control you want, and still end up preg. if you can't trust the other person enough to know for sure that they want the same as you, you shouldn't be risking having a pregnancy. man or woman! its called 'self-control'..ever hear of it? accidents happen..yeah. i'm just saying you'd better be prepared for the consequences, whether you own the vagina, or the penis.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:50 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• If he didn't want to be a father, he should have kept it in his pants. Sorry, but there is no birth control that is 100% effective short of a hysterectomy, so if you're having sex, you'd better be prepared for a child, because it IS a possibility. He has no "rights" to not want to be a father when he is participating willingly in the conception process.

And to Anon: Your husband had sex with her voluntarily, so the same rules apply. He wasn't forced into sex, so he wasn't forced into fatherhood either, should the baby turn out to be his. I hope, sincerely, that it is not, for your sake and his, because the woman is obviously manipulative. But he's not a victim. Sorry.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 8:52 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• These questions annoy me. Everyone wants a fair and equitable answer. Well, I am here to tell you that there isn't a fair and equitable answer to everything. As men have their double standards so do women. Men, if you don't want the possibility of a baby, don't be having the sex. Women, your body, your choice, and no matter what they have to help - unless of course you raped them. LMAO.
    Anonymous