why is it that when people use unique spellings that..

They get SOOOO offended when people are always spelling their kids names wrong? Did they not think of that before using that spelling? I personaly cant stand when people use an unusual spelling for a regular name, your poor kid is going to be correcting people for the rest of their lives!!! Im all for cool names and all, but messing up the spelling just to be different, is plain ol mean.

minimo77

Asked by minimo77 at 5:02 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Baby Names

• i agree!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:03 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I agree. My name can be spelled 20 different ways and when I was a kid, it always disappointed me that I couldn't find a keychain with my name spelled right. I am still correcting to this day.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:03 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• They also get irritated when people mispronounce the name as well. I am a teacher and whenever someone asks my advise on a name, I remind them while it is there choice, to keep in mind that it will probably be frequently misspelled and mispronounced.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:05 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I agree, it doesn't make sense.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:08 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My name is Tari...prounounced Terri, it seems like that would be easy, but people never spell it right & rarely pronounce it right.

I have to tell you that it really doesn't bother to me, I can handle it if they mispronounce it, I just correct them & make a joke "it's just Terri, but my mom couldn't spell". To be honest. I always liked as a kid that my name was "special". There were 4 other Terri's in my class & we were somehow lumped together all through school. All of our last names began with a P & 3 of us had the same middle name. Mine was a little more special

As an adult, I'm a freelance writer, and I've found that editor's remember my name because it's a little unique...yet not over the top.

My boys have normal names, but the older two I spelled differently..... Gerrod and Jayosn. They've never complained about it, they just laugh and tell people their mother ....the writer.....CAN'T SPELL!!

Not a problem for me.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:12 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• They don't realize that if you want to be unique you should spell you kid's name RIGHT because everybody is changing the spelling on their kid's names now.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 5:14 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My name is Danielle. It is always spelled wrong and mispronounced. Yet it was the 10th most common name the year I was born and I use the standard spelling.

That said, I have a friend whose name is Amiee. She insists that this is the one right and true way to spell the name and can't stand that nobody else is using it. It drives me crazy.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 5:16 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I hate the spelling Nikkole. I think it looks like you can't spell.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• It's no one's business. I have a common name spelled differently than most. I get so many compliments on it. Not once has anyone said to me "I can't believe your parents gave you a name like that. Doesn't it get annoying?" I love my name and I am so proud of it. It's one thing I feel my parents did right.

My son's name is also spelled a little differently (one N instead of two), but it's a common name in the UK. Mistakes get made and yes sometimes it does annoy me (mainly because the ones that misspell his name--or even mine--have no excuse for it--they knew exactly how his name was spelled).
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:23 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• And not being to buy personalized straight up is not a big deal. If I want something bad enough, I can order it.

BTW, I do kind of agree that going overboard with uniqueness can be a little too much, however I still believe it's up to the parents to decide.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:25 PM on Sep. 29, 2010