Blood in his poop...

I took Gauge to the doctors today b/c his poop was REALLY hard and he couldnt push it out. I ended up giving him 2ozs of apple juice twice yesterday and Kayro syrup before bed. I noticed that there was blood coming from his butt when I changed his diaper this morning so I called and made the appt.
She said that I should just let it pass on its own and she gave me some cream to put on his skin where it had cracked...I'm still worried even though she said it was normal and everyone I know said their babies did it.
What could cause this? I took away the rice cereal in his night bottle and morning bottle the day before yesterday bc he wasnt eating...

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 8:23 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just make sure that he is getting enough fluids. The bleeding and cracked skin is a fissure. It'll heal on it's own. The number one reason for pediatric visits is constipation. Hopefully, this is just a one time thing because he's low on fluids or something. How old is your son? Is he on jarred foods yet? Try pears. Pears and pear juice is really good when they are constipated. And prune juice and prunes. I'd steer away from the apple juice...there are mixed reviews on apple juice and constipation. Both of my boys (3 1/2 yo and 21 months) suffer from chronic constipation and are on presiption Rx for it. So far, their GI cannot figure out why. Good luck to you and try the pears and the prunes!
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 8:29 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• It's probably little tears in the blood vessels around his anus. This is common with constipation and they heal just fine.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:28 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Yep, he's been pushing too hard to poop and it tore the blood vessels a little bit. It's scary, but common. It's ok. Just keep an eye on the little guy.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 8:29 PM on Oct. 22, 2008