How to get candy apple hard syrup off hardwood floors?

My hubby dumped it when hot into the trash and not thinking took the trash bag out right away and it leaked through the bag and all over our hardwood floors. Its hard and wont come off. Any way to get it off without ruining the floor?

falanlee

Asked by falanlee at 5:13 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Hmmm. Can you lick it off? Just kidding. How about cheese cloth and a warm iron over it? I think it works for candle wax. The premise is to melt the caramel and it soaks into the cloth.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 5:14 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I would let it harden and use a razor blade. Ice might make it harden quicker.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:15 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Razor blade may scratch the floor, try a plastic ice scraper instead or lay wax paper over the syrup, warm it up with an iron and use a spatula (plastic) to get it up.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 5:28 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• try a torch (a small cooking one) and then peel it up... might work
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 9:20 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Maybe try a hair dryer to get it to heat up enough that you can wipe it off. My husband says depending on the type of wood and how hot it was, you may have already damaged the floor by spilling it on there.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:30 PM on Sep. 29, 2010