When did your child learn to spit out toothpaste?

How did you teach them? I'm trying with my 3 yr old but she swallows then spits

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 5:36 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I would just keep working with him and getting him to spit out as much you can. Once he gets it then move to more fluoride based tooth paste. My nearly 3 yo just swallows it too, so we aren't even going to try until she is closer to 4 yo.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 6:20 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Id say around 3-4ish....my 4 1/2 year old still swollows the toothpaste on accident sometimes. they will get the hang of it eventually.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 5:37 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• around 2 and a half...just through repetition and lots of talking about it
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 5:38 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My son started it a few months ago, he's 3. He just watched his daddy and I do it enough times and finally figured it out. I was so excited the first time he did it, LOL.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:38 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My son just turned 2, and he's doing it occasionally now. Definitely not all the time though!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:38 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• my son is 3 and he does it, every now and then he will accidentally swallow it, but its not really a spit more like a slobber line into the sink, GROSS! lol
    hunters_mommy07

Answer by hunters_mommy07 at 5:44 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• i don't give toothpaste with fluoride, even dh and i use fluoride free and sls free too.
    i wouldn't switch to fluoride free until you are sure they will not swallow it...like 4 or 5.
    working on it now is great!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:08 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• my daughters 2 1/2 and she spits. She just mimics me. Try brushing yours first. I made a game out of it with my daughter.. to see who could spit it in the drain. lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:47 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• around 18 months both my girls were spitting no issues... we just showed them how we did it, and it worked for us.
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:28 PM on Sep. 29, 2010