Do you use a baby sleep positioning device?

Stop using baby sleep devices, U.S. tells parents
Risk of suffocation from positioning devices outweighs benefit, officials warn
WASHINGTON — Sleep positioners marketed with the promise of helping babies sleep safely are too dangerous to use and should not be sold, U.S. officials warned on Wednesday.

"The deaths and dangerous situations resulting from the use of infant sleep positioners are a serious concern," Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) Chairman Inez Tenenbaum said in a joint statement with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

She said parents and caregivers should "stop using these sleep positioners, so that children can have a safer sleep."

tasches

Asked by tasches at 5:39 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used one, but, mine was WAY smaller than the new ones. That is probably why they are having issues. I also stopped using it when he could roll from tummy to back.

NEW ONE:Go to fullsize imageOLDONE:Go to fullsize image GBig difference in sizing.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:32 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I never did. I laid them down on a pallet or in the crib with nothing around them unless, it was pillows and I was right there. I never left them with pillows or heavy blanketing.
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 6:35 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I just saw this on the news at 6! Here is the link to the FDA article.
    http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm227575.htm?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4ca3b5c117874749%2C0
    I'm going to try without it tonight and see how it goes. I'm afraid that after 8 weeks of using it he has become used to having the feeling on either side of him.
    Laurelflower

Answer by Laurelflower at 7:32 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Link to full article:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39424666/ns/health-kids_and_parenting/
    tasches

Comment by tasches (original poster) at 5:40 PM on Sep. 29, 2010