Has anyone seen those black "ropes" put across roads? Know what I mean?

They are laying on the road and you run over them...there are usually two several blocks away from each other...

What are they for? To check speed, or how many cars are traveling down the road or what...

They look plastic to me....just wonderin...lol

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 5:43 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Travel

• My husband says they are counting cars and they use that data to help plan road construction (adding lanes), traffic lights, how rapidly the road need to be repaired, etc.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:50 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I asked my mom and she said its to count the number of cars that travel on that road.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 5:44 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• To count how many cars travel a road. Usually for when construction is scheduled to plan detours down alternative roads

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:45 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• wow i didnt know either thanks for finding out
    AliciaLamoreux

Answer by AliciaLamoreux at 5:47 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I agree it is to count cars. They use to have people out there counting cars before the black cords.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:48 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I know what you're meaning but I never knew or asked. I just figured it was counting cars
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:48 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Wow, and I always thought it was to determine whether or not they needed to either set up a speed trap or put up one of those signs that tells you how fast you're going.... because usually, that's what comes a few days after the "ropes"
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 5:58 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I think its both , to count cars and see how fast they are going. Usually a speed trap appears shortly after one of them.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 6:00 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Christina807's husband is exactly right. My neighbor works for the DOT (Department of Transportation) and said the same thing.
    Indyk

Answer by Indyk at 11:23 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I am just so happy people know what the heck I am talking about....now I can quit slowing down b/c of them.

HAHAHAHAHA!
    mom2twobabes

Comment by mom2twobabes (original poster) at 5:52 PM on Sep. 29, 2010