how do i get her to eat (puppy)

we just adopted a very young puppy, she is nine weeks old, ate the first couple days we have her now i cant get her to eat, i have tried several other types of foods, canned and dry. What could be causing this? do some puppies just do this? she is acting normal, she just wont eat. what can i do?

Asked by Laura_Cruz at 5:48 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Pets

• No, that doesn't sound normal. Puppies NEED food to grow and thrive. Did you get puppy food (dry or wet), not just dog food? Try putting a little water in the dry food, that makes it easier for puppies to eat. If all else feels, try baby food. Seriously, that's what my vet made me do whenever one of my pets was feeling poorly and not eating. Just the jars, any kind of meat will do. If it continues, I'd definitely take her to a vet.

Answer by Anouck at 5:50 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Worms are common in puppies. You can take a stool sample to the vet to get it checked. The vet may treat without the sample (will save you money) since it is a puppy.

Answer by Gailll at 5:50 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I tried watering food down and she still refuses to eat it.

Comment by Laura_Cruz (original poster) at 5:53 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I think you need to get her into the vet because this is not normal for a puppy.

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:55 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Take her to a vet. She probably needs to be dewormed.

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:48 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I agree that she needs to see a vet. She may have worms or another parasite.

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:42 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I would go get her dewormed and then the appetite will come back

Answer by Sheleekieije at 11:31 AM on Sep. 30, 2010