Are you or DH your kids BFF?

jshimmy

Asked by jshimmy at 5:52 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I am until I make her mad then daddy is her BFF.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:54 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• NO! We are their parents, not their friends... We have a close relationship, but I don't think it's fair to them to be their friends. If you do that then I think you lose sight of being a parent, and they suffer for it. JMO...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:55 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My little girl is definitely a daddy's girl - she's 15 months old. And she knows that she's got daddy wrapped around her little finger.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 5:55 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I agree with Mrsleftlane. Exactly what she said!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:37 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Umm.. MrsLeftlane... this is the preschooler section... our kids think we have super powers & can make the monsters go away. our kisses make their booboos feel better.. And also we are their friend, their secret keeper, and much more.. This is not the teen section...
    anyway. :)

yes my dd calls DH her "best buddy forever"... and she also likes to call her granny her "b-f-f" ... "granny your my b-f-f" its too cute cause she will ask us to make sure we know what that means lol.. she is almost 4.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:20 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• It's really both of us, LOL! He loves for us to sit real close together and he hugs both of our necks at the same time. When DH leaves to go back to work at lunch, we ALL have to hug.

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:26 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• At this age... kids don't really have BFF I don't think! We all get a long great, but DS definatly has a preference for playing with other kids over us.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 11:53 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• kinda. She gets upset with me sometimes, but to me that means I am doing my job as her mom. She still comes to me for everything. She is 3 for crying out loud. She loves me unconditionally as do I love her that way. Even in other friendships she will have in the future, she will not agree with them all the time, but love for her is constant, never ending, never failing, she can always count on me to have her best interest at heart. Something that may not always be said about her other friends. I hope that I can continue to foster a loving relationship with her that will be life long, that she will always count me as a friend while still being able to parent her properly & effectively.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:52 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I'm definitely not my older kids BFF.  That's not my purpose in life.  They have friends in the neighborhood that they hang out with.  I'm their mother.  My 4yo doesn't really have any friends of her own.  Her sisters are probably her best friends right now.

That's how I want it.  I don't want to be their BFF, I want to be their mother and I want them to have lives away from me.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:53 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Mommatasha - I get what you're saying, BUT establishing the difference between BFF and Mom has to start long before the teen years. ;)

When my two were preschoolers - sure we were played and they shared their dreams, their hopes, etc, but I was still Mom and the distiction was clear. We have a puppy now and in a way there's a similarity. The puppy views us all as playmates and the ones that take care of his needs BUT he also know darn well that at the end of the day the people of the house are alpha in the pack, not him. My kids aren't puppies, clearly, but the distiction is the same. We play. I nurture but I'm mom not a pal.

My SIL was 'buddies' with her daughter from day 1. Now that her DD is 13 reigning it back to "mom" status is not going well for either of them. My mom *is* my best friend, but she was my mother up until I was married. Kwim?

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 9:35 AM on Sep. 30, 2010