S/O on organ donation

You're an organ donor but your SO isn't and doesn't want to be.

He gets in a series car accident and is brain dead, no way to save him, and they you to donate his organs. Would you do it knowing he's against it and go against his wishes and save lives or just respect his wishes?

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 6:16 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• Hmmm.... honestly, I think I'd go against his wishes. He's dead, so he won't know anyway, and I really think with so many people on the organ donor waiting list, it's a crime to just let any organs go to waste...

Thankfully, we're both on the same page with that one, so I won't have to worry about dealing with a situation like that.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:19 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I'd be discussing this with him now, educating him as to what organ donation is and what it is not (there are far too many myths about organ donation). I'd be interested in finding out why he doesn't want to be, and explaining to him why I feel so strongly about it.

And my husband was an organ donor - by my choice. He was killed by a drunk driver. He had never made the decision whether to donate his organs or not, and then he was gone. I decided for him. He was a kind, caring, and generous man and he no longer had a use for his organs. Other people did. The decision was terribly emotional, and yet terribly simple.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 6:25 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Respect his wishes. I could save lives when I die.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 6:18 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• respect his wishes
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:19 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I am a donor, he's not. And no. I wouldn't take that choice away from him. He strongly believes against it and I respect his wishes even if I don't agree with them...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:18 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• i'd respect his wishes.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:20 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I would go against it.And he knows I would.That is why he is an Organ Donor.He doesn't have a choice.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 6:21 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I would donate the organs why not give someone else a chance at life
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 6:22 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• my husband is not an organ donor and I am, i would respect his wishes but i know he would probably go against mine.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 6:23 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• hmm... I dunno, we both are donors but I don't think I would just because I would feel guilty... that is a tough question though!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 6:23 PM on Sep. 29, 2010